ballast draft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by abalkees, Feb 26, 2014.

1. abalkees

abalkees Junior Member

Hi,

I am working on a project to optimize a tanker ship for both the laden journey and the ballast leg (return journey).

My ship design draft is 12.18 m. I am wondering how to define the ballast draft for my design case and in general. IS there an assumption or an empirical method to get the ballast draft?

any help please?
    Thx, Alaa

2. Olav

Olav naval architect

There are MARPOL requirements to be met (Annex I of MARPOL 73/78, I think) which define minimum draught at midship and the corresponding draughts at the perpendiculars (there is a maximum trim rule).

Sufficient propeller immersion (= draught at AP) and the prevention/reduction of slamming (= draught at FP) are also important aspects to be considered.

3. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

abalkees - A friendly reminder about the rules of these forums. Don't post the same thread in more than one forum. It's confusing to people trying to reply to you, because they will leave a reply in one forum but not any of the others.

I left a reply to this thread in the Stability forum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.