anchor dilemma!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by searoamer7, Oct 6, 2005.

1. searoamer7

searoamer7 Junior Member

Building 36 ft west coast trawler, Presently designing Windlass area. Have two anchors for job. 1. Claw/Bruce style and 2. plow/CQR style. Which anchor would you use as number 1 anchor off of gypsy and why.

Thanks Glenn

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Since you're doing the design yourself, why not build a pulpit that can handle two anchors, either side-by-side or staggered? This way you could use whichever is best for the bottom conditions you have, or you could use both in narrow channels or bad weather.

3. searoamer7

searoamer7 Junior Member

Thanks for reply, I should have mentioned that I am making the pulpit basically along the lines that you proposed. I plan to stagger the two anchors having the main one attached to the gypsy tucked under the front of the pulpit and the other one off to one side in a s.s. bow roller. I was wondering what anchor would be best suited for all around conditions as my main anchor.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Type of anchor depends on type of bottom normally. Bruces were designed to be big for oil rigs and are bloody good in most bottoms, but, the CQR is the small boat specific design, not that this always the right choice! There are times when the good old 'Admiralty' style is as good as anything. Remember that it's the stuff between the boat and the anchor which does most of the holding. If it's all chain and you've got a good scope (5 times the depth of water) a brick with teeth would do the job in reasonable holding bottom. If like most you go for three fathoms of chain and a bit of rope (your mooring rope?) you'll need a good anchor! As I said depends on the bottom AND the gear, but for choice the biggest one with several 'shots' of chain 'bout half inch chain at that would be right! Incidentally I'd want more than two anchors on a boat that size!

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

16' Aluminum fishing boat. In a fast river, always drags sometimes. We cured that permanently. With 1 fork from a fork truck. Back spasams for days.