Yet another "What is my boat?" question

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by FireW0lf, Jul 2, 2005.

1. FireW0lf

FireW0lf Junior Member

Hi forumisers - am new here. Looked around and it seems there are some pretty trained ppl in here

I bought my missus a power boat not so long back. It is around 19.5 feet long from stem to transom with a Mariner 40 on the back

It is fibreglass

It has a planing hull

The cabin is just forward of the beam, almost half the length of the boat. In the cabin are two flat forward facing windows, and one flat window at each bow. It has a single hatch in the centre

I was told that it was a "Teal"(sp?) but on ask.com, google.com and dogpile.com I've drawn a blank to an exact match

I reckon it is 20+ years old judging by the style of it (will take some pics over the next day or two to post - see if we can narrow it down a bit)

On reading other posts here, seems that many have an ID either on the hull, or the transom somewhere. Is this a fixed place that they put it? Is it stamped? Painted? Embossed on a tally plate? If it's painted on, I've no chance, being this old it has countless layers of paint on it

I'd like to find out, so I could buy a cover for it (pram?) so that we could also go out on rainy days - the views off the west coast of Scotland (where we are) are fantastic no matter what the weather. If all else fails, I'm not too bad with my hands and could always make my own

I'm actually looking to give it a complete refit, and it seems the previous owner(s) did a very "sling it together as fast/cheap as possible so we can use it" job on it, so I'll be stripping all the crap off it, fitting a new dash, gps etc. It has 2 fuel tanks - around 2 gallon each. One on either side of the transom. I'm possibly looking to replace these with bigger ones... One thing I definitely want to do is add fuel guages to the dash. All I know about this is I need a guage and "sender unit" for each tank. Can I use generic senders? Do they need calibrated to the guage? Are they easy to fit? Do they fit in the lid, or do I need to cut a hole in the tanks?

Also, how easy is a drain plug to fit? Can I easily do it myself, or am I best paying somebody to fit it?

Lots of info I know, but if anybody even knows bits it would help loads

Thanks in advance guys

2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Dunno about this particular boat. But an excellent source for such projects are the forums over at the www.iboats.com site.

Kelly Cook

3. FireW0lf

FireW0lf Junior Member

Thanks KCook - have posted there now also. Wasting a day looking thru their forums, but getting some bits of info so that's fine :D

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Posting a few photos of the boat might help with identification as well.

5. FireW0lf

FireW0lf Junior Member

Yup - already mentioned that

The boat is at a marina about 15 miles away, that I can't get to until Monday, but I'll take several photos of it then and upload em here. Hopefully then ppl could give me a few clues...

6. FireW0lf

FireW0lf Junior Member

Hmmm the photo's are "pending approval just now".... I'm sure that by the time anybody reads this post they'll have been approved tho :D

Edit: hosted them on imageshack instead

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.