Amc?

Discussion in 'Education' started by RThompson, Dec 6, 2005.

1. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Has anyone here studied at the Australian Maritime College (AMC)?

What are your thoughts?

Rob

2. MDV

MDV Junior Member

I did a B.Eng (Nav Arc) at the AMC, the only other option for this degree is in Sydney, the AMC wins hands down in terms of facilities such as the towing tank, cavitation tunnel and their new testing basin. Launceston is also a nice place and much cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne to get decent accomodation.

I'm currently doing an MBA in Maritime Management by Distance Education at the AMC and so far the distance program has proved to be excellent.

Michael

3. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.
    I agreee AMC does win over Sydney hands down. It also seems to rival an NA degree from anywhere in the world.
    How did you find the workload?
    I was told by a lecturer that there was about 25 hours tutition a week. If a student of average intelligence (whatever that means) was to study a further 15 hours a week then they should be "OK". 40 hours a week appears to be light as compared to oft heard stories of tertiary study...
    Does that seem about right?

Rob

4. MDV

MDV Junior Member

When I studied at the AMC a lot of subjects in the first two years where actually conducted next door at the Uni of Tasmania, and its these first two years where the workload was perhaps the highest. I would not say that it was light, and in the case of the B.Eng (Nav Arc) course it needs to meet certain requirements and will be similar to any other B.Eng degree from any other uni.

In the end you get out of it what you put into it, and if you choose a social life of surfing and going out instead of the 15 hours per week study then you better learn to cram come exam time and learn some stress management techniques.

5. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Mmm, yeah, welll...

I didn't realise some of it was conducted at Uni of Tas.
    Anyway what you say kind of confirms what I suspected: on-going hard work for years.
    I left highschool over 10 years ago so the maths/science is a bit scary. I guess I'll find out how scary in Feburary... :eek:

Thanks,
    Rob

6. MDV

MDV Junior Member

If memory serves me correct, they offered a refresher course on maths prior to the actual start of the course. I'm not sure if its still available.

7. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

MDV

Surfing is just applied hydrodynamics. It should be part of the curriculum. :)

8. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

For information:

There is a maths bridging course offered through U of Tas. (free of charge)

The course is the complete year 12 math program. It starts in Jan and runs 20 hours a week for 6 weeks.

The course is delivered at the uni. Although the material is available via distance education you are required to provide your own tutor.

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.