Need help with rendering my autocad work!?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ChrRun, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ChrRun

ChrRun New Member

I've done a few hulls in Acad, I need help on how to make a smooth hull.

I have 3D studio max och solidworks, can I import my "hull skeleton" and put on some smooth faces or make a solid of the hull :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DaveK

DaveK Junior Member

I'm not a 3d application person but, I'll pretend to be one...... Not enough polygons to get it smooth!! That's my guess at it for what its worth.

I work with folks who do this for a living and giga billions of polygons always seem to help but, take a month to render on a 24 PC cluster.

DaveK

3. ChrRun

ChrRun New Member

Im sure I understand what you mean :confused:

How do I get a solid 3D model???

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I suggest you try Rhino, the demo version lets you save 25 times, I think.
    You can use your longitudinal curves to build smooth surfaces, then you can import it to 3DS, or you can use the curves directly in 3DS.

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

ChrRun,

export as a dwg the "edges" of the boat (sheer, chines, etc.) this need to be splines, open in 3D studio and "loft" trough this edges, example from sheer to chine etc.. this way you have your hull surfaces. still won't be a "solid" but you can use the tools in 3D studio to create sections and interact all you want with your model.

once you have the surfaces of the hull you can export sections to solidworks and use these sections to model the structure of the hull.

6. ChrRun

ChrRun New Member

I'm not sure how to make all the lines --> splines ?

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

is your drawing a 3d wireframe, the one you show on the picture?

if it is a 3D wireframe, just use an spline to draw the chines, sheer and the other edges don't do the sections, and export this ones into 3D studio.

if this are not a 3D wireframe, then you can still use 3D studio to create the hull.

just let us know if you have the 3d wireframe or not

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.