Yard Detail Work

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ChrisGibbs, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. ChrisGibbs
    Joined: Aug 2003
    Posts: 14
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Australia

    ChrisGibbs Junior Member

    I am currently enjoying my second year in a row where a yard has employed me as a contractor for the duration of the University holidays and have been employed to do mainly 3D design work of various structural and mechanical components.

    Upon arriving this year some of my first jobs were to look at a few items that had been put into the "too-hard" basket, i.e. moulded-spiral stairs , and hydrostatic releasing liferafts to comply with SOLAS, getting to the point it would seem that my composite skills are not what i thought they were (previously only working with Aluminum or steel for the last 3years) i realized that i would need some help.

    I'm quite confident with the basics, it just seems that i stumble with some basic details, and seeing as the yard lacks any hint of a "typical yard detail" handbook (or similiar) i took it upon my self to try and come up with something (after-hours job that has taken my interest)

    Details like typical tabbings, window tabbings, structural tabbings, bolting plates, tapping plates, locker details , penetration details are all topics that seem to come up on almost a daily basis but as said before there is no consistency or yard standard blooklet.

    I’m looking for a book or series of books that is current with these kind of yard details.....

    Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
  2. KFB
    Joined: Apr 2005
    Posts: 17
    Likes: 1, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 22
    Location: United States

    KFB Junior Member

    The classification societies (ABS, Lloyd's, DNV, etc.) have guidelines for construction of classed vessels which include construction sandards. The Lloyd's books seem to be the best laid out, and have "typical" details and failure modes control drawings. Also texts on construction materials usually have typical details, and any office that does engineering should have at least a few reference books on hand. You may do best to call around to some local Naval Architects, or Marine Engineers, and simply ask them what they have on hand as reference materials. Additionally, if your yard is working in glass, the major material manufacturers usually will have published technical guidelines for using thier materials. I know ATC chemicals had a great book of details, but they were bought by SP systems, and I don't know if the book is still available. Hope this helps.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.