Trailerable Plywood Cruiser for Two

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by av8or, Jan 12, 2015.

1. av8or

av8or New Member

Looking to build or buy a trailerable sailboat that would cruise two for a couple of months in the Bahamas. Specifically something that has at least 5' 3" of headroom, a full berth for two adults, a head and full galley. Looking for something that could be trailered, and not just transported, which means centerboard/daggerboard or lifting keel. I've been looking for the right boat, with no luck. Extreme shallow draft boats either dont have the head-room, or have an internal layout that tries to sleep 6 in a 23 foot boat. (It will only be 2)
    The only boat I've really seen that comes close is a Beneteau First 235. Wondering if there is anything out there that I've missed.

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Multihulls?

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. av8or

av8or New Member

Sure, If I can put it on a trailer and it would comfortably cruise a husband and wife for a couple of months. I'd be a little concerned on the additional work required to build two hulls and deck over just a single hull.

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Trailerable and headroom are somewhat mutually exclusive. Hake Yachts are my favorite. Nice lifting keels in 32 and 26 ft well appointed boats. I presume you have seen Macgregor 26s -not very seaworthy but with water ballast there's two tons less to pull on the trailer.

I should ask what weight you consider trailerable? Do you already have a truck that will pull 10,000 lbs?

Multihull is another way to keep light on the trailer. Richard has nice designs. Again the difficulty of your SOR is getting headroom without getting too large to tow. Folding tris are most trailerable. The telstar 26 would be the smallest/most trailerable with your required headroom. The corsair 32 is more common and fits your SOR. Then there is my favorite the contour 50 -it can be conveniently carried on two semi trailers.

5. av8or

av8or New Member

I would think anything much over 5,000lb trailer weight really wouldn't be "Trailerable". I'd probably be looking a crane or lift to launch and retrieve.
    Hadn't really given thought to a tri. I'll take a look. Thanks.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Would a pop-top work for you?

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I am glad to see you have an open mind about multihulls, so many people don't

Thank you Skyak

You may find this article useful

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/articles/29-general/221-hpcc

I have made seven trips to the Bahamas in my own catamarans

this might suit you

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/2-catamarans-under-25ft/160-sango

Or the 28ft Gypsy or Saturn if you want a demountable/transportable boat which has a lot more room, rather than truly trailable

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

9. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Try the Nazarov K800 which you can find plans for on here as a starting point, and add a pop top as Gonzo suggested (but make it good and make the boat self rescuing, i.e. Lots of sealed foam buoyancy). Some kind of water ballast might be a good idea too

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.