Yanmar - How long should it take for oil pressure to come up from a cold start?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Frosty, Jul 26, 2009.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Marinize a diesel is fast and cheap, IF you do it workboat style.

Keel cooling , dry stack exhaust , best performance , low cost and if you pick a great but less popular engine , its dirt cheap.

International DT 466 or 360 is my first choice for 100-150hp "forever".
    \
    FF

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Just spoke with a mate who is a Yanmar diesel dealler in OZ.
    Had a trip through the factory in Japan..very clean he said except the part where the guys are grinding the toyota logo off the blocks!

3. capt littlelegs

capt littlelegs New Member

Bypass filter

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I've tried to plough through all the posts. I seems to me that the assumption is that the filter is a conventional full flow type where you would also need a pressure bypass valve.

From what I've read the oil filtration system appears to be a bypass type or a combination that still gives unobstructed full flow direct from the pump in the event of a blocked filter. This is not an unusual design to drain back fully to the sump and also prevent oil spillage when changing the filter.

Changing the filter to a conventional type as a remote may defeat the original design features and possibly cause oil starvation at some time. Whilst I can understand the concern for a slow oil pressure build up, I don't think this is a real problem as the oil may well be circulating instantly but at a lower pressure before the bypass filter fills up and the alarms can be delayed or thrown overboard.

Only a detailed examination of workings of the oil pressure system can tell for sure and should be done before any alterations are carried out. I have a Mercedes engine that has a similar draining filter system without any issues.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.