Yanmar - How long should it take for oil pressure to come up from a cold start?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Frosty, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How to build your own accumulator pre lube system? Check back on this thread,--its been discussed . I used a fire extinguisher but never completed it as decided to go elec pump

2. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Gosh Frosty,
    That's right, you were trying that approach way back when. This thread is getting long isn't it. You must be beside yourself with frustration.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Has anybody a use for these empty CO2 cylinders (for a giant sized soda fountain?)

Attached Files:

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats exactly what you need, looks like aluminum too, perfect size.

Dont think you would get them on a a plane though, certainly not if they were capped,--open possibly.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty here is how to buy from manufacturers

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...battery-technologies-21869-32.html#post305616 - - Spiv - - Ancient Mariner - - Join Date: Jun 2007 - - Location: Perth Western Australia
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertKu View Post
    It is a pity that the Chinese battery manufacturer insist on a minimum order for 10.000 pieces for the 8 or 9 Amperehour type D battery.
    Bert
    Bert,
    most Chinese have their 'Minimum Order Quantity' rather high, however they all will allow a "sample" order and a "Pilot" order.
    If the sample order is small sometimes they will ship it to you, others you just pay for the shipping.
    Once you are happy with the sample, you then make the 'pilot' order of say 2~3~500 pieces. This time you pay for the goods (at the MOQ price) and shipping.
    If the one manufacturer you are dealing with doesn't offer this terms, tell him you will look for another.

I tend to believe that soldering is the best solution for trouble free operation.
    What about making flat 'pizzas' of the required number, and stack them?
    it would still be simple to replace a 'pizza' with a spare one and then find the faulty battery.
    A powerful soldering iron would make it easy to replace ded cells.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You mean you can pump oil with a pizza,--I didnt know that, thanks for that Mas ille give it a go.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Amazing the stuff that comes up on boatdesign.net:D:D:D

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Mas... nice of you to post but I said this 2 weeks (?) ago.

Frosty doesn't want to do this.:confused:

So it's totally pointless for I/anyone to make an attempt to help him anymore.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty gets a little bureaucratic sometimes and needs things in duplicate (or is it that he is getting a bit senile/deaf/blind and stuff has to be repeated until there is an acknowledgement):D:?::p

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I drove to Siracha yesterday in an attempt to buy some pumps at those big shops on the left near the traffic lights. They did'nt have any but boy I started to shake once or twice.

One guy said come back at 1Pm and I will give you a price. I started to shake and get worried . Phew thank god they were the wrong type,they had a reservoir on the side for things like tail gate lifts.

I jumped in the car and drove home quickly --that was close.

I knew these shops were pretty well stocked but boy they are mind blowing. I guess its with the oil industry being close by.

Off back to the boat in 24/48/ what ever, shall then re-analize all the good advice from you guys. Cheap calls to any where in the world and much faster internet connection whilst on the boat.

But will prob slink off to Singapore for a few days, love shopping for engineering stuff there, dont you? yes you do--every one does.

There appears to be only about 3 /4 manufacturers of these special pumps for pre lube.

Actually I can buy a Puisi gear pump in Malaysia, I just don't like the price, how can it be 3 times the price of their vane pump, same motor!!!!

I don't like anal penetration.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Frosty, still looking for nuts and bolts:?: - did you leave them in the hands of the girl at the bar:?::?:

I am reminded of the story of a "gay" looking for companionship in a strange town, and proud of his 3 testicles approached this muscular man in a gay bay and said "Hi darling, between us we have 5 balls" and the falsetto response of the 'castrati' rejoined, impressed, and with a big smile, "My sweetie, you must have a cluster":D:D:D:D

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Piusi vane pumps purchased, (yes im still doing it, no need to rush these things).

Sump plug/dip stick bolt removed drilled through the head and a 1/2 inch BSP female adaptor welded in the the head of the bolt. I can now screw a tap or fitting into the sump plug as a supply and the dip stick tube is unaffected.

Yanmar have comfirmed that these filters do drain back and explained that the oil pressure alarm /sender is right at the end of the line.
    Thats true --it is,-- it sits in a remote alarm guage, sender housing fed by a steel braided flexible line. Hmmm good excuse.

New plates can apparently be bought to quieten the transmission rattle on shut down, I am waiting to see how much they are,--say 2000 dollar? each!!

Bonding a piece of wood the the hull to take the pump mounting today, but maybe not --another stinking hot day. Not a cloud in the sky.

I have to replace the anchor winch solenoid that I took of 3 days ago , the anchor winch was stuck too, new seals and re grease/ paint up and she's good as new.

I worked out that it was 4 years since I last hauled an anchor with it.

Picys of sump plug coming next.

Attached Files:

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I can sence a lack of interest here, any way I will continue as Ive started so ille finish.

All done and photos below, works great, 10 seconds on glow and the pressure is up, alarms off and lights off. It will stay pressurized too for a good few seconds.

One little prob is that Glow does not activate gauges and alarms so I have to keep turning on the ignition to see if its primed. Looking at the wiring its no big deal to swop that out for a push button prime and Yanmar have obliged with a place for an extra sw.

The pumps labored terrible (as Piusi said they would) I took out 3 of the 5 vanes from the pump rotor and now shes fine. still priming in the same time dues to the motor turning faster. Ok well photos below hopefully.

Attached Files:

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Good to see you have finished.... Are you now satisfied?

Could clean up your engines a bit some rust showing on the tube on second image on lower right... tut tut... :D:D:D

15. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Well good for you Frosty,bet it's a weight off your head

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.