Yanmar - How long should it take for oil pressure to come up from a cold start?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Frosty, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Do you know of any engines that like to run without oil? It is a well known fact and everybody knows ( well almost everybody) that dry starts are the killer of any engine,--all damage is done then.

I think your conversion is great but to improve only by 50% is disappointing when with little more effort 100%---and more can be achieved and increase value on the boat by having pre lubes rather them meddling with oil filtration system.

I would have bet that they were supply and return!!!! but to where is more confusing!!! Mine dont have these pipes.

Intercepting these pipes would be a good way to get a right way up filter.

"holes" drilled and tapped ready for the pre lube system or if not by any chance, a take off for pre filtration oil pressure guages.

Pump untraceable,-- iether in Thailand or China. Alibama was contacted for help and they thanked me for reporting fraudulent use of thier web site?????

I did'nt report fraudulent use I asked for a contact. Is it always so hard dealing like this in America.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Geeezz Frosty, for all this troubles and posts it may have been an easier and in the end a more sensable solution to just some oars :D

From experience I can tell you it is important to pre-lube. Probably where half of us come from. I guess the other half could have been...er... less prelubricted results ? You can see some have more wear and tear than others eh :D

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Not bad drivel though, 183 plus posts over 13 pages, to fix a problem that should never have happened - - so carelessness gets what it deserves, some rebuke? :D:D:D:D and something to while away the days;)

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well I am very interested and relieved that some one else should have the same prob. It should'nt be but I felt like I was the only man in the world with a **** Yanmar. I think they have turned to BMW in 2008 and finished with the Toyotas.

Its not Yanmars it everybody these days.

Perhaps I could recomend a new worded warranty.

Warranty is for the period of credit only , if however the full amount has been paid for, warranty shall be null and void. If the engine has been run or used in any way or any attempt to start the engine shall nullify the said warranty. Etc Etc

6. Bigfoot1

Bigfoot1 Junior Member

When you pump oil from say a barrel open to atmosphere, and pump it into another barrel open to atmosphere which have about the same liquid level as each other (ie there is not a significant change in height) the pump only has to produce enough pressure to overcome the internal fluid resistance of moving the oil down the line. Ie the pump may be able to produce 1000 psi, but may only produce a few pounds pressure.
    A vane pump in this case is fine for the above application, ie any volume but low pressure.
    But as the pressure requirement build, the vane pump loses application, the vanes, which are usually held out against the pump housing by springs, not centrifigul force, can be distorted. This is not a good pump to use in high pressure applications.
    As another contributor mentioned, a displacement pump is better, and for higher pressure requirements, this is fine.
    There are many marine 12 volt pumps that can handle diesel fuel for this application and provide say 30 PSI, which is all you really need for circulation of oil through the engine oil galleries, But and this is the most important issue.
    You must install a pressure relief valve somewhere down stream of the outlet of the pump that can be set at 30 psi, plus or minus even 20 psi, and the reason is this.
    A displacement pump, with enough horsepower driving it, can produce thousands of psi of pressure when the pump turns, It is a displacement pump and if you block the end of the outlet, and put 100 hp into the pump, you can generate pressures into the thousands, ( until either the motor stalls or the shaft breaks.
    So if you look at a pump and it says that it will develop 30 working pounds and is a displacement pump, that would be a pump matched to a motor that will produce 30 psi at what ever the pump is rated for.
    Ie a motor pump combination should spec something like this.
    1 gallon per minute at 30 psi, ie the working pressure of the assembly.

Vane pumps, probably not, though if matched to 30 psi and maybe a gallon per minute may work. spec it.
    A diaphragm pump, dont bother
    A displacement pump, good choice.

And the next question would be is this.
    What pressure and volume should I look for.

The pressure at 30 psi is more than adequate, dont forget that you need a pressure relief valve as you could damage your engine, seals and gaskets.

Upper range maybe 60 psi or whatever your guages say when the engine is running.

Volume,
    I would go on line and check out some higher capacity engine oil pumps that replace the OEM product, many race engines have higher capacity pumps and they will have some specs that say X amount of gallons per minute, so you would know the upper limit,

If I had to guess without doing the research I would say a gallon per minute is lots of volume and 30 psi is more than adequate

And to be clear, you need a pressure relief valve at the outlet of the displacement pump which lets the surplus oil go back to the atmospheric reservoir, ie engine sump or what ever. OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your explanation above is not in dispute. Its getting the pump.

I have no reply from Tuttle USA or Topflow China and Varna USA and Tilton USA.

All of these make a pump ideal for the job. A Chinese supplier would accept a min order of 500 pieces

Does'nt America complain of not being able to export against the competitive China because of child labor or something. Just answering e mails might help.

We hav'nt even got to the bit where they say we dont accept Mastercard from a foreigner ,--they are sometimes fraudulent. ----Well they should know they invented it.

Surely they get clearance before shipping? I don't get it.

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Ive ordered hundreds and hundreds of samples form Asian co.s.,and its really fun due to my often forgetting what I've ordered.
    It's Christmas,every week!

From diesel engines and tractors to minibikes/ATVs,food items,machinery,and every appliance,piece of furniture,and clothing item known with only 3 or 4 co.s unwillling to send a sample batch I dunno why they won't deal with you.

Had you googled like I suggested earlier?
    Have you phoned the American co.s?

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It is the other way round Van. I am trying to get stuff from US.

I dont understand --you ship into Canada,--(which is in North America) furniture and motorcycles??? But it doesnt come with the morning post does it? you must be talking of container shipping? Why am I guessing? Please explain?

Shipping a 40 ft container and asking to put 2 100 dollar pumps in the post is a bit different.

No I hav'nt phoned. Am I wrong to think I should get a reply to my e mail request for just 2 pumps and no I have not told them that I want samples and lied that I am in the market to buy 1000 of the items.

I have spent 2 evenings googling though.

I am not accepting samples batches !! I am in need of a specific pump and at a cost that does not exceed flying down to Singapore and getting some.

Asia is a power house, hungry for trade, and will --if it has'nt already taken over the world in trade terms. Shame that pre luber pumps are'nt considered more important here.

A 12V DC gear pump is a rare bit of equipment-apparantly. Due to Americas fanatical infatuation with the motorcar,-- racing items and pre lubers seem more prevalent there.

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Ordering stuff they ship it via sea.
    They crate and ship it ...arrives in Vancouver,gets sorted/unloaded and I go pick it up (and pay any duties) from my customs broker.

The American guys-phone 'em.

I googled for 5 minutes when this whole thing got started and found a few.

"I am not accepting samples batches !!"

Just WTH does that mean?

I made a specific recommendation for a very good reason.
    You chose not to follow it,and you didn't get a reply-no surprise.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sounds like your getting hot round the collar. Dont know why . A sample batch is an undetermined lot of samples, ie items sent before hand to be inspected as being exactly as per the order.

I am googling now and have been this morning too I just may not be as good as you are.

Your suggesting I phone up and tell them I am in the market for 1000 pieces and I need 2 now for testing!! Im not prepared to be dishonest.

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

When you get all this CRAP sorted out I bet it will do more than 4 knots more like 25 plus so you understand my problem ....

Be cool but not frosty .....

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

14. Bigfoot1

Bigfoot1 Junior Member

There is a marine prelube kit available from www.marine-prelube.com for about 300 bucks, US
    The importation should not be a problem, email them, send them a money order and have them mail one, or DHL or Purolator will handle overseas shipments easy and relatively cheaply, and often have within their organization the brokerage process if Thailand has import restrictions.
    This kit does need a pump, but rather uses an accumulator,

15. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Bigfoot,
    The website makes that sound like a mighty fine system. To my eye it looks like a solution to Frosty's problem and a stocking stuffer for my boat at Christmas time. Now how do I figure out how to build my own?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.