Yanmar - How long should it take for oil pressure to come up from a cold start?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Frosty, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Holy Moly thats perfect.
    I will get the missus to phone in the morning and ill'e nip down to the factory. I hope they sell out sales direct,--I know some don't.

She just added that it is behind the Esso station about 3 Km down the road, we think!!!. Any way Banglamung is not far away.

Fking well done Van. Points for your help have been awarded.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

3 km? Dammit I was trying to find one closer to you.

If they don't sell sales direct,either pretend you're an exporter (feign interest in their other stuff) and want to export their entire line world-wide....or just offer the guy cash.

I'll be by at some point in time for my beer.

That pump is not heat proof,so you'd have hot oil all over the engine room and troubles if a check valve leaked.

So I'd put in 2...a couple feet apart,in case one fails you still have the other.
    And on occasion check the pipe in between for heat.

Do ya think the heat would migrate much from the infeed to the pump if the line had oil in it?
    But it's self priming....so maybe raise the pump a bit above the sump to stop heat transfer??

Let us know how muchy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont understand your heat issues. It will pump cold oil for a few seconds to prime the filter . It will then be separated from the engine by a one way valve. I doubt the pump will be used again that day ( why would it).

So really the pump will suffer no more heat than the ambient engine room can muster.

Your beer is in the post, but ive drank some to discount from the 3 Km I have to walk.

She is going to phone in a minute when she gets her act together. Im walking around behind her with the number and the telephone in my hand.

Its 9 20 and she is still in ker nighty and I in my underpants, not a pretty picture I know but then I know you like detail.

4. WestVanHan

A check valve is a one way valve,same thing.

If that lone check valve ever failed/leaked on your non-heat rated pump,it'd be a short while before you had serious problems....

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Does that mean that "frosty's pump" won't work or the motor thingy?:p:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Phone number does not work , Directory enquiries have never heard of them.

Nong Phalai is where the Railway station is!!! I dont remember there bieng an industrial estate there ,--but thats Thailand.

Ille jump on the bike and take a look. --Just driven 50 m round Nong Phalai, big place, nothing--no one has heard of them and the phone number does not represent any similarity to a Thai number.

So what shall I do fit 2 check valves? If the check valve was to fail or leak then a small amount of oil would flow back to the pump , but the pump is gear so it wont allow much flow back. There fore the oil will be considerably cooled by then.

And the oil gallery that the intended pump will pump into is just after the oil cooler, there fore oil will have just been cooled at this point.

7. PESCATORE

PESCATORE Guest

is this what you guys want?

Hello to all! I am new to the site and have been following this post about the yanmar oil filter for a little while now. I own a Shamrock boat with a Yanmar 6LP and have converted to a remote oil filter. I also eliminated the need for buying proprietary Yanmar oil filters by installing a common 1"-16 threaded filter head. This thread is a direct match for the filter on the dodge 5.9L or 6.7L diesels and is also longer to give extra capacity.

See attached pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hello Pescatore and welcome to the forum. You realize you are now going to be bombarded with questions dont you?

Did you have priming trouble, in other words why did you fit the remote?

Did you make the remote? because I have not been able to see one for sale, and as you can see the length of the adaptor is to accomodate the long oil filter spigot for the special Yanmar dual stage filter.

I think your engine has an out drive on it yes?

9. WestVanHan

Well frosty not more I can do.

Maybe the phone # is wrong etc etc.

Google something like -thailand 12v oil pump and scroll thru.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have contacted Alibama and told them they are crap. There silly machine wont let me e mail the supplier without joining. I am joined but it wont accept my password, if I try to contact as a new customer and sign up it wont let me because it says I am already a customer.--- Another silly American company.

I have no alternative but to go in the car next time and literally search the streets for this place.

11. PESCATORE

PESCATORE Guest

Hi Frosty...thanks...I have answers to all questions ;) The reason I installed the remote filter is:
    1) the high price and inconvenience for obtaining a Yanmar (or Toyota) brand filter.
    2) Every time I removed the stock filter for an oil change it was empty...which means it was not doing its job correctly and draining potentially dirty oil back into the engine.
    3) Priming time was about 8 seconds w/stock filter and 4 seconds with remote setup.

There is still some priming time with the remote setup because the hoses are curved upwards and allow the oil in the hose to drain back. I was planning to put 90deg ellbows on the adapter and mount the filter lower, but there was limited mounting space.

All Shamrock boats have straight shaft inboards. Everything else in my opinion is less reliable for going offshore with.

This is a search on the wix website using the cross reference for the compatable Toyota filter. It directly crosses with a wix p/n and states (Yanmar/Toyota) Click on 57254 and it brings up the specs. Full flow/bypass means its a dual element filter.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...tNo=9091530002

The filter I am currently using exceeds the flow rate and micron rating of the yanmar anyway.

Machined aluminum adapter/filter head I can do a kit for $309 + shipping using various filter head thread sizes. Hoses are 3/4" Parker series 436

I hope I answered all your questions. Sorry for the delay but there is a big time difference between us and I will be gone fishing all weekend. Take care

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Frosty
    I have had good success shipping US stuff to Singapore and you have about a 80-20 chance ( in your favour ) of not paying sales tax (7%)which you could avoid as yours should be "ships spares in transit"
    I wonder if you can ship to the central post office?
    just a thought..

13. WestVanHan

F:

I'll use my account & let u know if and when they reply.

5 minutes later.....

I googled the model number and found the actual manufacturer in China.
    They're ISO 9001
    Probably Thais were trying to be an agent or something...

http://www.topstec.com/Aspde__EnProductShow.asp?ID=107

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thanks again Westy I have e mailed Topsco in China to see if they have a Thai agent.

Pescatore, so your a machinist and can make them? 309 Dollar x 2 plus pipes shipping etc and the possibility of them never arriving due to post theft that is rife here. If I use DHL I will need more than a thousand dollars.

And you still have 4 seconds dry running. Im not criticizing your job --its a nice job, but a pump as you can see will be better and less expensive.

And Im already committed, hole drilled into oil cooler gallery.

I asked if it was an out drive as you have 2 pipes coming from your oil filter housing, Ive seen these before, I thought they went to the leg , what are they?

15. PESCATORE

PESCATORE Guest

Let me know if there is a Yanmar that failed due to the short delay of oil. I doubt it! I did this more for my piece of mind and so I dont have to buy Yanmar filters anymore. I'm sorry to hear your country is having mail theft.

The 2 hoses going to the filter housing are:

1) SUPPLY
    2) RETURN

Good luck on making holes in your engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.