Yanmar - Dosan or Sole Diesel?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by yodani, Aug 12, 2014.

?

Most reliable heavy duty engine in 180-240hp range

1. Dosan

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yanmar

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Sole Diesel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I have heard many theories about running diesels at low power, generators are an example - 1500rpm for 30.000h ."

Do not confuse low RPM with low power.

A good low RPM installation will be using 75 or 80% of the power the engine can generate at THAT! RPM. not at max RPM.

This is why many vessels will spend the bucks and install a CPP.
    The propeller load can be increases at low RPM.

When a 2100 rpm engine has a fixed prop pulling back to 1200 or 1500 the prop load at that RPM is so low the engine is no longer operating loaded enough , and can easily burn 50% more fuel per HP.

A BMEP graph or fuel map will show just where the best operating range RPM & Load HP is.

If you can find the Cummins , that would be my choice as so many are in cars and trucks parts will be cheaper (maybe 1/2 or 1/3 ) of a marine small volume conversion.

Ask any Volvo owner,,,,about the price of unobtanium parts.

2. yodani

yodani Senior Member

aussietrev thanks for the reply. Parts will not be a big problem as the dealer here is Watermota and they are serious. I think I will go with Dosan or Scania in the end. Will see how the final price will be. Will also change the propeller to a 4 blades and see what the results will be. I was thinking about a Kort nosel but I am afraid it will suck wood from the bottom and get clogged...

Efficiency and reliability are my two goals... Fast Fred. I think I will power according to the calculations so will go with 180-250hp and appropriate propeller. I will keep those engines loaded :) ...

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.