Ashok Leyland diesels (India)

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by makobuilders, Oct 9, 2011.

1. makobuilders

makobuilders Member

Anyone have experience with an Ashok Leyland marine diesel? The truck engines are very highly regarded here in Asia/Middle East. Old fashioned 4 strokes, 11 liters yields about 120hp at 1500 rpm. The ship yards I've been talking to pretty much insist on installing one for my design. Imported gear or machinery of any kind over here is too expensive.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Never heard of it Isuzu are high on the pedistal here.

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

4. makobuilders

makobuilders Member

I wish I could get my hands on another 6-71, my favorite engine in the world (except for the noise). However, by sourcing Indian components I can keep the construction costs down. It's so interesting how old-world this place is. Even their railcars are exactly the same design from 60 years ago. However, it's all so robust, simple, practical and repairable. This is the way I like it. The only computer you'll find on my trawler will be my kid's Nintendo DS! (That's a slightly exaggerated statement, but you get the point).

5. nemier

nemier Junior Member

Hello Mako!
    I realize that this thread is over 4 months old, but how you getting on with your build?
    I'm in Bombay Harbour right now and every bum-boat I see has that leyland in it. They are exactly as you say, simple, reliable and repairable...I would say perfect. I'm very interested to hear what you're putting together.

6. makobuilders

makobuilders Member

Hi Nemier. I was just getting ready to sign a contract to build but my company transferred me out of the country. My intent was to build a 45ft trawler based on a commercial fishing design. The Leyland would have been perfect and as you're discovering, is popular in that part of the world.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.