Cat 3208 425 Ta...turbos Or Fuel Pump....?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by blackfin, Mar 28, 2013.

1. blackfin

blackfin New Member

Blackfin 33 1991, 3208 425 TA. starboard 700 hours, port engine rebuilt 126 hours. Both engines injectors with 700 hours. After done the the port engine, test went ok with some smoke, after a few hours the smoke trail diminish but not completely in the rebuilt. But I have to point out that the full RPM reach on both engines did not go over 2200, before rebuilt 2650, in case 21x26x4. Now here is the PROBLEM...a lot of smoke on both engines, no power at all, meaning that the RPM's does not go beyond 1900. The turbos do not start, or they do by moments. They do only when I went with the wake, but not consistent, last time out yesterday. Of course, I talked to the mechanic, he told that I need to service the fuel pumps, that the turbos are ok. As you all know I talked and did some research and the opinions are divided between the fuel pumps and the turbos. The issue is no power, RPM max 1900, lot of smoke, injectors 700 hours, haul clean, props just serviced. Any comments are appreciated........

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont know anything about CATS but on diesel engines The fuel injector pump should be serviced during a rebuild. Expensive to service , but required. Your engineer should be able to advise.

3. Joris

Joris Junior Member

I always learned "fix what isn't working before you start to fix things that are working"
    In this case i would check if the turbo's are spinning free and why they aren't working. You can do little harm running the engine with a pump that needs servicing but was working decently before. The same can't be said about turbo's that aren't working correctly.

4. blackfin

blackfin New Member

The turbos are free, no lateral or axial movement. I will check the valves, the timing of the fuel pump, seek for a dead cylinder or injector, measure the fuel presure some how, to see if it is constant. Also the governor of the pump, but I checked it for full RPM, no gear and was achieve. So at this point this is my plan, I will appreciate if this course of action is ok, or otherwise improved. Thanks for your time.

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I'd say check the timing advance,they are known to fail on these.
    IIRC at 350-375 hp they are great engines,but over that and if leaned on regularly can be troublesome.

Perhaps what is happening is the one engine is malfunctioning and is not making hp-so when you ask the boat to go fast,the other engine is severely overloaded....

Do you have EGT readings?

BUT spend the $25 and sign up at boatdiesel.com and you'll save multitudes.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I also think that the timing is the first thing to check. However, what is the color of the smoke?

7. blackfin

blackfin New Member

Ok, excellent approach, timing. The color of the smoke is black. Thanks for the advices to every one. I really appreciated.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Black smoke can be caused by late timing, worn injectors, injection pump out of adjustment or worn (usually late end of delivery), a seized turbocharger, and restricted airflow.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The timing on most 3208 is a piece of cake.

The fuel pump is loosened , a pin (drill bit) is inserted to line everything up, and the pump is tightened down REMOVE THE PIN!

Its all in Da Book!

10. discovery

discovery Junior Member

Timing advance mechanism on the cam gear . Checking the initial timing with the pin won't tell you if the advance mechanism on the cam gear is buggered.

11. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

If the engines were producing near their rated output before the rebuild and your tachometers were accurate you were overpropped from the beginning. 3208s wot rpm is 2800 and ideally you would get 30 to 60 rpms over that. If you have any growth on your props it could prevent the engines from turning up. Bare propellers in prolific environments need very little time to produce crops. The fact both engines are doing the same indicates a common issue.

12. Mattis Maurin

Mattis Maurin Junior Member

What was the problem in the end?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.