Tohatsu 9hp vs other brand options

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Charly, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Hi guys, I am shopping for a pair of long shaft outboards to go on the back of a new cat I am building. It needs to be remote shift. What do you all think of Tohatsu vs Honda, Yamaha, etc.? I can save a lot of money with the tohatsu if I buy a tiller model and a separate shifter/throttle box, and mount it myself, so I am leaning towards that option. Anyone have any advice?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The Tohatsu and Nissan 9.8 HP outboards appear to be the same engine with different cosmetics.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

All good reliable brands, and I think Tohatsu brands small motors for someone else besides Nissan too.

And don't be so quick to think switching a tiller controlled motor to remotes is an easy task, I believe you will find it more challenging than you might think.

Steve

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I believe Tohatsu is the source; they make the motors that are sold under the Nissan brand.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Best choice may depend on what the boat is, if it is heavy and not a speed machine, you may be wise to select a high-thrust variant.

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Nissan and Tohatsu are the same. Tohatsu also make the Mercury till 20hp.
    They used to make the Honda also 15 years ago.
    I have a Tohatsu 15hp, it is the best outboard I ever had.
    The ratio power/weight/reliability/price/maintenance/repair is difficult to beat.

8. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Good point, Steve. I took a tiller arm off of a Johnson once and made up a homemade throttle/shifter. I don't remember the details, but it was a pretty big mess.
    I see that over here
    http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-9-8-hp-Outboards.html
    I can buy a Tohatsu w/25"shaft and remote shifter for about $2900.No tax. free shipping, so the savings of buying separate and doing it yourself might not be worth the trouble. The only wrinkle is that they wont sell you a motor with remote shifter and send it to your doorstep like they will a tiller version. It seems to me that if they send it to a local dealer (we have one) the dealer has to get a piece somehow? How does that work? I still have to sort that issue out, but overall I am reading mostly good recommendations for the Tohatsu brand.

Thanks

9. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Tohatsu has a 25 inch shaft option with a four blade prop. I have been wondering if this mod makes any difference on the wear at the power head or any other negative effect?

edit: this is for a 36' cat

10. hoytedow

That should have no effect on the power head but it does put more strain on the motor mount due to the longer lever.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

On a 36' cat, see if a high thrust model is available.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd like to have 25" leg for sure on a 36 foot boat, and those usually have the high thrust option in 9.9 hp motors.

13. hoytedow

That option does exist on the Honda 9.9.

14. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Tohatsu literature calls their 25" version w/four bladed prop a "high thrust", which in my mind prompts the question: what, if any other modifications are made to make it a "high thrust"?

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

The only other modification is probably to utilize a higher gear ratio which gives the "high thrust prop'' lower rpm vs the ''standard'' version since the "high thrust prop'' moves more water per revolution.

For outboards the total set up between ''standard'' and "high thrust'' versions usally only differ in the gear ratio and the applied prop. You can see if this is the case by comparing the specs for power and torque output, crankshaft rpm, the gear ratio and the prop specs.

Good luck !
    Angel

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.