outboard vs Diesel - might be a good time to switch?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by tranmkp, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tranmkp

tranmkp "wherever you go. there you are"

I have a project that will require me to travel on water a distance of 30-60 miles on weekends. Initally, I thought an Albin 27 with the isuzu diesel would work well. Now, with the price of diesel so high and time (weekend) at a premium, Im beginning to think that an outboard and something like a carolina skiff (24') might be actually cheaper to operate. To determine which might be better involves math which is not my forte.

Up front cost might be cheaper(?) with the Albin as you can get a nice one for about 25k. which is about what I would like to spend.

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Lots of other things to consider. 30-60 miles can be a long way on the water. What kinds of weather/seas are you likely to encounter. In any kind of sea state I think you will be more comfortable/safe in the Albin. Not sure how dry you would stay pounding through chop for a couple hours in the skiff. As a general rule I though inboards were much more fuel efficient than outboards, not sure if switching to outboards would save you any fuel money.

3. tranmkp

KenJ.

Almost all of the travel will be in the bay or ICW. You might get some short steep chop - Skif people say a 27 footer would do just fine.. Still I dont know...

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Boat choice

Lots of boats to choose from. Yachtworld listed over 40 in the 25-28' range in MD, VA, NC area for $15k or less. Think you need to add some details to your search criteria. Transportation for just yourself or is family involved? All weather or just acceptable weather? Overnight, fishing or other capabilities needed? heavy or light preventative maintenance? Lots more decisions into the type of boat needed other than fuel and engine type. You haven't mentioned your experience level. It's unfortunate, but I know too many people that have bought the wrong boat for their needs. Within a year they are looking for something different or getting out of boating. Take your time and figure out what you need, even if you have to pay a little more than you are planning. It is much cheaper than a mistake.

5. tranmkp

KJ.

Ive been getting wet for 30 years - just sold my 36' sailboat to focus back on my large format photography (8x10) on the Texas coast - galveston bay - matagorda bay - possible to spend several days or more onboard.

As far as weather - the usual short steep chop - 2-4.

The Albin looks like the one with the accomodations, it will just take longer to get to where I want to go.

Kind find a lot of outboard boats with pilot houses. Shamrocks can be had cheap but most have big v8's.

6. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Insert foot

Wow, shooting 8x10! I did a lot of photography in school, 4x5 was the biggest format the school had, too poor at the time to buy one for my self. Really loved formatting and playing with depth of field options. Cars/boats/wife/kids got in the way, other than a point & shoot haven't done much in years. Sounds like you know what you need and want. Good luck in the hunt, that can be almost as much fun as owning. When you said bay & icw I assumed Chesapeake country, totally forgot the Gulf Coast has an ICW too. A boat you may not be familiar with is the Carolina Classic. Designed for fishing, it is stable and will get you places fast. yachtworld currently only lists new ones, might ask around about used.

7. tranmkp

its the trip not the destination..

looks like Ill get the albin - I was close to a chopped Penn Yann 21 tunnel with a custom deck powered by a 502. BUt is was a a raw fishing boat - no protection for my gear - Better to go mellow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.