1968 johnson lower unit

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rando, Mar 3, 2015.

1. rando

rando New Member

hello all, first boat. been into racing cars and bikes my whole life. wife asked me to buy the family a boat so I think project.. and project it is. im trying to remove the lower unit on my 1968 55hp 3cylinder. I have done as much research as I could and went to work. I have removed the 4 bolts on the outside, and removed the trim tab and hidden bolt. I have removed the recessed bolt in front of it. the lower has dropped about a quarter of a inch and stopped. ive tried wiggling it and moving it around. but it still will bot drop any more. am I missing something? I have the electric shift wires disconnected and wrapped with a string to snake it through for when the time comes. any advice would be greatly appreciated..

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm not 100% familiar with the set-up, but having a manual to refer to, to be sure you have disconnected everything, would be ideal. It is possible the driveshaft has become rusted in to the engine's crankshaft, which can make separation very difficult, but first be 100% sure there is nothing else needing to be undone.

3. rando

rando New Member

im currently looking online for a downloadable manual. but no luck so far. I may have to order one online.

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

There could be a small plate on one side of the lower leg where it is necessary to remove a screw joining the gear forward and reverse shaft between the lower unit and leg of the outboard, it is possible to damage/break this joint without care.

5. rando

rando New Member

I don't see a inspection plate anywhere

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

This plate gives access to a screw to disconnect gear change shaft to drop lower gear box unit. but your motor may be different. Long time since I played with these o/bs.

Attached Files:

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, it sounds like a shift rod connection, but the very first thing you should buy for this engine is the manual, so you know what has to come off to access what. Free downloads are a waste of time and usually not free.

[​IMG]

The first $30 bucks you'll spend on the engine. Considering it's age, you'll surely spend more, so move on.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He said it is an electric shift. Probably the shaft splines are welded with rust to the end of the crankshaft.

9. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

No 1 on lower unit shows gear change rods which are connected together by the 3 and 4 bronze fitting and the screw clamps or locks the rods in the holes. The gear change lever should be set in reverse so the screw is easier to get at through the port on the leg.
    It is easier to loosen the screw with the outboard vertical on a stand but to re-assemble the outboard needs to be near horizontal ( Very secure ) so you can easily look up into the leg to find the right channel to slide the gear change rod (fairly long) in place. The gear box should be put into neutral before assembling the gear change rods
    and the rods will need to be checked to see if they are located at the right length so the gears are fully located at the right place. See how the gear lever is set before dissembling.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is an electric shift. None of those parts are in it.

12. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Those pictures are for the electric shift model. #46 and #63 are the electric coils.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The 55 is different. The coil and actuator is vertical and connected to the end of a rod that is identical to the manual shift. The lower unit doesn't need to be disassembled.

14. rando

rando New Member

I finally got it to come off.. it is a electric shift. what had happened was the splines of the shaft were spun enough to make it stick. I brought over my 6ft 5, 275lb friend and asked him to give it a yank while I moved it side to side.

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Dont forget it takes special oil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.