Yamaha 2SH kicker rebuild/restore advice

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by OrcaSea, Mar 9, 2015.

1. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

Greetings,

I was given a Yamaha water-cooled 2-horse 2SH kicker with my sailboat restoration project. The last owner said that it ran and was operated in fresh water. I have no idea if it was fogged after last use, what kind of maintenance it received (if any), etc..

I know the carb needs work as he said that it wouldn't run below half throttle (and this motor has no neutral or gears, it 'flips' to change direction), but my question is, how much more disassembly should I do to verify its condition and get it to a point of reasonably reliable operation?

I have a lot of mechanical background (20+ years in aerospace, etc.) but I know squat about two-strokes. I can't find a rebuild manual for this motor (just a user's manual for an almost exact but newer model). I don't know if parts or gasket sets are available.

Thoughts?

Curtis

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless you want a project to kill time, cleaning the carburetor, putting a new sparkplug and impeller is as far as it is worth doing. The impeller is in the lower unit and behind the propeller.

3. OrcaSea

OrcaSea Senior Member

I'm wondering if I shouldn't run some oil in the cylinder? I'm concerned about the top end lubrication. If the motor was treated as poorly as the boat...

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Like gonzo said, don't put much time or money into it, it isn't worth the cost of more than just the basic simple parts.

If you're worried about it being dry inside, squirt a little oil into the carb throat and turn it over a few times, nothing will each the bearings in the crankcase by putting it in the sparkplug hole.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.