What degree should I look into????

Discussion in 'Education' started by yankeezhater247, Oct 1, 2008.

1. yankeezhater247

yankeezhater247 New Member

Hi,

My name is Jean-Luc and I am a U.S. Marine currently deployed in Iraq. When I get home I look to go to school in the fall semester. I am not sure what degree I should go for. My basic goal is to possibly work for a company and be on a team that is in charge of designing the boat, it can be anything from the looks, interior layout, graphics, aerodynamics etc. basically the overall design of the watercraft. I just need to find what degree I should go to school for. Any help will be much appreciated thank you

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

The most important education for getting into boat design is as a Navel Architect, which can cover all aspects of design and building boats of all sizes. A marine or mechanical engineering degree is even more useful, though more demanding (with higher pay usually). Since there are fewer of them, there is always a demand for them, and you can always use that kind of eduction in other industries if you can not find work in the boat building business.

To get started you can take classes in computer aided drafting and computer programing (or both!), the larger boat builders can always use those skills. This will take less time to become proficient and you can get into the industry to see if you really like it (though at lower pay). These skills are useful in other industries as well. If you like what you are doing you can continue your eduction in either Navel Architecture or engineering (many of the drafting and computer classes will apply directly toward either of these degrees, so you did not waste your education).

My own degree is in mechanical engineering and over my career I have worked in automotive, aerospace, consumer products and construction engineering, and I have done consulting to a number of boat builders around here. I am currently self employed as an engineering consultant for the last 15 years. Career flexibility has always allowed me to stay employed at a decent income. Engineers of all types will always be in demand. Feel free to ask any further questions or explore career ideas.

I wish you well in your endeavors and may you serve out your tour of duty with honor and distinction. Stay safe.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.