Yacht Yogi sinks

Discussion in 'Stability' started by michael pierzga, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Pascal Warin

Pascal Warin Junior Member

To my knowledge the yard comes with a basic design that the stylist ruins for "better comfort" purpose.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

My experience with two new builds in the Netherlands at respected yards was that a " signature " naval architecture house delivers the hull design and structural engineering , then a stylist in consultation with the shipyards in house naval architects modify to the owners fantasy.
    I have seen the shipyards in house architect reject style modifications such as superstructure details like electro hydraulic opening windows , which may compromise the integrity of the vessel and the name of the shipyard.

Perhaps the shipyard in Turkey , in search of boat show awards, did not reject styling details that could bring grief to the yard.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:idea:
    Here's an idea... how about you all wait to find what the ACTUAL CAUSE of the incident was before you race about with fictitious accusations as to who's to blame....

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Oh come on... What shall we talk about here then? :p

And then, the world's newspapers need this forum (really) to get their technical (dis)information about analysis of ship accidents... Se the case of Concordia, for example. :D

5. Willallison

Lol... :D

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Will, we will never know! Such cases are reluctantly being disclosed. I was involved in teaching stability of commercial ships for seafarers, and stability of naval ships. That days officials provided some reports for us to read, but never made them public.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yep, just like I'm pretty sure we will never know how many car accidents are really not due to human error but rather to mechanical or electric failures. Something that car makers would probably never admit, thus leaving my suspects with no official proofs. ;)

8. Willallison

Perhaps... we shall just have wait and see...

In an interview with the builder:
    Funny... no mention of the swimming pool...:rolleyes:

and..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. michael pierzga

Its a big insurance claim. Both the operator and builder will try to avoid liability. Flag states dont like to be too agressive or they will spook future clients. When superyachts burn up or sustain serious damage ,information is sequestered and bled thru lawyers and spokesmen . You seldom learn or understand what happened to allow a situation go critical. Understanding or speculating on the cause of accidents makes us all safer and smarter.

At present in the shipyard are the toasted remains of a 30 meter motoryacht. No one knows why it burnt....perhaps mood candles placed in cabins to help the guests communicate on a higher level ? or an improper electrical installation ? or poor crew training ? or the owner just grew tired of paying for it ? .

10. Willallison

Understanding, yes. Speculating does nothing more than fill the pages of increasingly meaningless threads... dedicated more to fiction than fact.

To make informed hypotheses based on known facts is one thing, but to simply take wild guesses and make accusations as to who is to blame is quite another

11. michael pierzga

Perhaps.

it is incorrect to drag a shipyard , architect or crews reputation thru the mud.

Im sitting in the nav station of a yacht now. Internet is very weak. I tried to research the AIS track of Yogi but all the sites are bandwidth intensive and my connection poops out. Have you seen her track ? Several hours between emergency and abandon ship. How did the crew manage coarse and speed to address the problem ? I ask because I am a yacht captain and have spent decades sailing stylised complex boats. I am constantly imagining emergency scenarios and defensive strategies. I dont wait to read flag state conclusion

12. Pascal Warin

Pascal Warin Junior Member

It is most likely they did not have any speed more.

13. michael pierzga

This would be nice to know...if the machine room was disabled and the vessel had no way on. The AIS track would reveal this.

This statement from the shipyard seems to indicate that the machine room was not disabled ?

“They have said it was mechanical failure, that one engine overheated, and broke the exhaust bellows – but there’s a valve underneath it.”

"You can see water coming out of the side and power on the vessel [ie lights were on] so the generators were running – you can tell many things, so the engine room was not flooded. You can see [in the video] exhaust coming from the hull side so one of engine room generators was running.”

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

might have had separate gen set room?

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I hear of plenty offshore vessel accidents around here and crew deaths from the guys on location but never read about them anywhere

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.