Yacht Yogi sinks

Discussion in 'Stability' started by michael pierzga, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ngreenwo

ngreenwo New Member

There's nothing wrong with the stabilizer. Yogi would have had Zero Speed stabilizers can pivot like that to stop the boat from rolling at anchor or under way.

The photo doesn't seem to show any significant damage either. Tender Garages are usually just above the waterline and are sealed to allows for flooding. I've had waves roll right through them when at anchor and the bay doors are open.

Boats this size are designed to allow compartments to flood and still maintain stability and buoyancy. It will be interesting to see what actually happened.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yes indeed. Very difficult to understand how a modern machine like that could founder in very moderate weather.

The boat went stern down. I notice a swimming pool on deck....perhaps its water supply was stored aft and compounded a transom door failure, flooding of sternpeake .

Who is responsible for the accident investigation ? Greek authorites, Flag State or the European Maritime Safety Agency.

3. emreozben

emreozben New Member

I have seen YOGI 5 months ago at the construction area. they were adding stabilizers after construction.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Just too many windows and doors close to the waterline. I don't like it, both aesthetically and structurally.

5. captcam68

captcam68 New Member

Hi Guys,
    My thoughts on Yogi, funny enough berthed next to her in Cannes last September. For a yacht of this size to sink so dramatically and quickly (do's any one know the time frame?)
    i would be guessing they suffered a catastrophic failure of some sort. i.e.; stabiliser shaft/seal let go, skin fitting failed or possibly a recent hull plate repair /modification failed. There could be many reasons the weather could have exacerbated the problem but unlikely to be the primary cause. This was a 60m 800+gt vessel that would have been able under normal operations to eat those conditions with complete confidence and safety.

yes all large yachts built to LY2 and class have water tight bulkheads with water tight doors fitted between these hull divisions and yes depending on the type and area of damage/failure damage stability requires them to be able to stay afloat with any one compartment flooded, (however the crew have to close the doors).

The local Port State Control along with the flag state will conduct the investigation with imput from the class society and know doubt the builder also. The fact is regardless of the reasons for this disaster the crew managed to evacuate the guests and themselves without injury and from the looks of the video they were all properly fitted with exposure suits / life jackets etc etc which maybe shows that they followed their training and didn't panic. More then can be said for the "professional commercial" crew on the most recent disaster.

6. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Maybe I'm just cynical -- but with a boat like that in a market like this, insurance comes to mind as a possible factor. Anyone know what depth it sank in?

7. michael pierzga

I havent heard anything new about the YOGI, only that it rolled over and sank. Very strange.
    I did look at her layout and drawings. Yogi had a swimming pool aft and two watertanks for pool water that look to be at least 8 tons aft ontop of the steering gear. If the stern waterproof bulkhead area flooded she would be dragging her rear end...perhaps the stern toy garage also flooded. .

8. captcam68

captcam68 New Member

Insurance scam would be unlikely as this was a popular charter yacht and hadn't been listed for sale as far as i know. As the yacht was on a delivery voyage there is a good chance that the pool tanks would have been empty as weight = fuel unless they doubled as ballast tanks. Even if the tanks failed and dumped the contents in the accompanying space it would not add to the displacement as the water was already onboard but might have a dramatic effect due to free surface. I think you are closer to the mark with a door seal failure either on the transom or maybe one of the clam shell doors, however the flooding should have been contained to the area of flooding.
    I guess we will hear what happened in due course but the fact that it just came out of the yard raises a few suspicions.
    Still waiting to hear what happened to the 130 Westport that burnt to the waterline last July??

9. michael pierzga

Fires are logical disasters ..Ive seen many fires on big yachts...always a poor electric connection and easy to understand. Good idea to take a thermal imaging camera an scan the electric installation for hot spots

Weather forecast had Gigi going downwind. Boats drag their sterns downwind so added weight from pool tanks or a flooded stern compartment could highlight a leaking door seal. The boat had previous seatime so you would assume that if a build or engineering error were present the crew would have been aware long ago.

Still it doesn't make much sense..the flood would happen slowly and the crew would be able to deal with it.

Eight crew is a bit small for that boat but if it was just a delivery perhaps only seaman were aboard. What is the staffing level for boat that size .... three wheelhouse officers and two engineers ?

Obviously water got inside the boat....obviously the crew were unable to keep up with it with pumps, speed or course change.

Hard to think of a catastrophic event that would cause this on a modern boat. Im sitting on a yacht now and their are so many waterproof bulkheads and doors that my intinct would only be a big mess in the event of a hull puncture and these doors and bulkheads functioned.

Very strange

10. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

11. Chickadee

Chickadee Junior Member

And hydrodynamics, with 2-3 meters waves and 15kn must be a bit messy?

Some other surprising design features...

http://youtu.be/NTdsOBV9bsE

12. Pascal Warin

Pascal Warin Junior Member

That is not so sure (depends which regulation applies). With 12 passengers on board, she was considered as cargo (let say "non-passenger") ship.
    Minimum requirement is collision bulkheads.
    I am not aware of rules applied by French Authorities for this peculiar vessel.

Generally, when there is no regulation requirements for bulkheads class is not dealing with this issue. This is different for fire bulkheads.

But most important is that, once again, issue was intact stability, not damaged. There was no breech that could be limited by underdeck watertight bulkhead.
    It is most likely that, due to engine failure, she came transverse to waves then list too much and water went inside accomodations through weathertight openings which cannot withstand immersion (specially aft acces to sun deck or how they are calling that).
    Afterward, when many tons of water are trapped in accomodations the ship will remain on side untill water enters down deck through internal connections like staircases.

I fully agree with this :
    The problem is that clients (which pays more than 350.000 euros per week) wants a lot of light and view on the sea and consider this kind of yacht as something like a moving five star hotel suite.

It is clear that interior design took precedence on naval architecture.

1 person likes this.
  13. michael pierzga

So the bulkheads and watertight doors on Yogi's plans are not to limit flooded volume but to contain a fire ?

14. Pascal Warin

Pascal Warin Junior Member

Never said that. Be so kind to read what I wrote.:mad:

This is common practice to mix up intact stability issues with damaged ones.

15. michael pierzga

Ah Yes...I miss read......

When calculating Yogi s stabilty are tanks like the 10 ton swimming pool water tanks aft considered to be full or empty ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.