New to Design Winch

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sailmeng, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sailmeng

Sailmeng New Member

Hey there,
    Im currently a mechanical engineer student, and i want to design and build a winch from scratch! I've also started searching about sailing, boats and stuff because i fell in love with the art of sailing. Among other questions, i would like to ask, if there are any great sites about winches, info for design , ideas , and physical sizes about the Forces at the sails etc...
    Also does anyone know , the maximum input a man can put at a winch, as well as the maximum load a sail puts on a winch??
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I'll answer your question with one of my own.
    How much can you curle?
    I've seen sheets rayed for thousands of pounds break on a J105; Volvo70 sheet loads probably are measured by the tens of thousands.

Welcome to the group and good luck

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

It's not so much how much can you curl, but how long can you sustain this motion at near maximum speed. It's also not so much sheet loading (you do of course need a general idea) as having more than enough "power" to perform this "work", with a safety reserve, at the speed you can physically tolerate. For example, you can design one bigass winch, that easily can crank in whatever you like, but the power you need to supply, would wear out the crew in short order. The real key is the balance of sufficient power, to produce an acceptable speed, given the loads.

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

5. Sailmeng

Sailmeng New Member

Woah! thankyou for the replys!!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.