Yacht Tender/Sailing Dinghy...Need assistance.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mackid068, Apr 7, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

What is a fair size for a yacht tender/sailing dinghy that is also usable for watersports and cruising (and harbor buzzing)? Is 14' ok? Would you say that a six foot beam would be appropriate. Also, which would you like to see, rigid hull inflatable styling with hard buoyancy tubes or a tender that is a very adequate sailboat...with a small keel (or with centerboard? Which?)

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The hassle is taking what ever you dink decide on aboard , and being able to carry it safely.

No sense in having a dink so large it has to be towed in the vessels wake , docking would be eventfull, and a sea voyage impossible.

For most boats under 50 ft a small sailing dink works fine , with the tinest OB it will work as a tender and sailing is great fun if you pick the right one.

There is little difference in the distance sailable in 9 ft or 14 ft , but lots of difference in the ability to get it aboard.

Davits on the stern are by far the best setup, EZ to launch , doesn't bang into the boat all night , and more difficult to steal from davits.

Also makes a great spot for stowing trash bags on longer passages.

If needed for lifeboat duties , a good dink can work fine , as you can move towards land or your rescuers , rather than rely on an electric box to have rescue come to you.

My vote is for the almost unobtainable Grumman 9 ft Aluminum dink, only 75 lbs and sails like a Witch!

FAST FRED

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Hi Fred:

I wonder what the Grumman dingy looks like. Are there any pictures? Can you do a sketch of one othertwise? What kind of rig did it wear?

A more fanciful me wonders if the dies and other tooling could be tracked down and production be resumed. This seems like an exceptional boat and one well worth saving. Or imitating heavily if that's not possible.

I think a good tending dingy with its more workman like lines makes a far better trainer or first sail boat than a bonified racer. I wish I had had one as my first boat.

Bob

4. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I concur with bob. I'm thinking about a 14' sailing/power/rowable tender. That's the one!

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Once Grumman got almost 100% gov funding , their ability to produce products for the general market was lost.

Same with boat yards, many have 2 folks in the front office and a dozen out in back doing productive work building boats.

When a Gov job spoiles the place , they end up with 55 folks filling out forms
    ( What is the Eskimo representation among laminators? How many bathrooms for Sodimites does the plant contain?) for useless gov job fillers programs.

Remember the Gov is Employer of LAST resort , so useless is their goal!

Perhaps Grumman hasn't scrapped the building forms , why not call?

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.