stainless fabricator recommendations? (Canada)

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by Phil Locker, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Looking for a Canadian fabricator that's familiar with doing rudder shafts. The locals I've talked with so far aren't all that keen on ordering in materials for small jobs. Will go with anyone I can fax a design to and is willing to ship, as long as their prices and turnaround times are reasonable.

Current project is replacement rudder for a Mirage 26 - a 1" solid stainless post with three tangs welded on in the rudder body, and a keyway milled in the top of the shaft.

Thanks
    Phil

2. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Really sounds like something for a small decent local job shop (machine shop) to do. They specialize in short run/one off work.

Bill H.

3. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

That's plan B, with me just bringing in the stainless I need through OnlineMetals.com and then driving over to a local shop.

Was looking for a better way.

Cheers
    Phil

4. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Phil
    I have had the same problem before. One of the things I found is that if I did not provide the materials I never felt confident that the materials were what was specified i.e....17-4 or 316 or crucible steel etc. Some small time shops tend to think these specs are not important. Now I tend buy the material myself and give them to the welder/machinist. I am certain that there are many good and honest shops out there but this way I know for sure.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.