what is the condition of job offer for a naval architect in singapore

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by zeroname, Dec 28, 2008.

1. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

hy

i am nearly finish my Bsc in naval architecture.. i am mainly interested in design section of commercial ships like container ship , cargo ship .. i wanted to go Singapore for job.. But what is the condition of there .. which software i may need to know good if wanted to join in design section. please if anyone share his experience that will be most welcome

thanks

2. JRM

JRM Junior Member

Hi Zeroname

Singapore does not have much in the way of large commercial shipbuilding anymore.

The large container ships and LNG ships are mainly built in Korea, and bulk carriers are moving to China. But China is/was taking over a lot of that.

Singapore and Singapore area is building smaller vessels (offshore supply vessels and anchor handlers) - maybe more interesting than container ships ?

Singapore is also strong on big offshore projects - FPSO conversion from tankers and semi-sub rig building (usually to designs made elsewhere).

I am not sure what the economic problems in the world are doing to Singapore - but Singapore is definitely a true marine centre and will be for a long time. Perhaps a better place for construction experience than design experience.

Lots of hardworking and marine educated people there - so competition might be fierce.

3. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

thanks JRM very much

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.