...yacht interior finish standards...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kalada, Jun 10, 2007.

1. kalada

kalada New Member

Hi all,

is there any standard that clasify boat interior finish from let's say 'work boat class' to ' high class yacht finish' and everything in between? Regarding materials used, tools utilised, attention to details, varnish quality, relative cost that could be expected across the range, etc...?

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm not aware of any standard, official or otherwise, for assessing the level of luxury and refinement of an interior. Cost is probably the most accurate point of comparison; dividing the money spent on the interior by the number of useable berths would probably be a reasonably accurate way of quantifying the relative luxury of various yacht interiors. You'd have a hard time stretching this to the extremes though; a racing yacht interior will be bloody pricey because of the Nomex-cored carbon fibre bunks, even though it's not very luxurious.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

pesonally I feel that its all gone way too far
    thing is that CAD HAS HELPED out of sight, a cad router can wack out a drawer front in 8 secs, would take a man hours to do something elaborate
    At Monaco each year there are prizes for the best finished superyacht
    In the old days with "old fashioned millionaires" money never came into the equation, now a millionaire is nothing, so only the billionairs can afford the best
    Making a superb finish on a small yacht, lifts the yacht out of the market Unless you get a NAME, like Oyster, whose yachts are not fiished out of the ordinary, but fetch high asking prices
    To get a name you have to build the best, then hang on and wait for someone to discover you
    the main criteria with any boat is accurate joinerwork, and that only comes with training or exceptional talent, I can't do it myself but many of my guys could.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A basic difference would be in materials cost and finish.

Many a workboat has a painted , usually ply wood interior that functions well, little trim.
    A cheap up grade is simply covering the surface with Formica , and using simple trim at the corners.

The rich yachties prefer an interior of endangered species wood , created from a fan fold cut of the entire tree. This shows the grain of the tree and looks great as a wall.

The art is cutting drawer fronts and locker openings , as a slip will ruin the entire effect.

Contempt for resources seems to be part of rich folks toys and lifestyle.

We get econo-boxes , they prefer private jets and choppers.

And interiors of UNOBTANIUM.

FF

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

tee hee Fred

6. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

I would not say that there is a international recognised standard. I have been doing yacht interiors for many years ranging from small yachts to superyachts. When quoting for new interiors I quote on floor (sole) area. This can range from US$600 per square metre for a standard work boat interior, up to US$1000 for standard yacht interior to US$2,500 plus for superyacht interiors. This price includes all furnishings, fittings, headlining, upholstery, lights the lot.
    I hope this is of some help to you.

7. Geoh

Geoh Junior Member

Putting the finishing touches on upgrading my 1982 26' Allweather work boat to try and be acceptable to the "yachting crowd". Already put $500 in a backyard paint job.
    I kinda cheated on the paneling by using a prefinished mahogeny hard wood flooring from Home Depot. Kept looking at the shiney factory finish and gotta be up to some hard wear and tear as its made for flooring. Also small width 5" run vertical makes fitting much easier. plus u can put a joint in the really hard pieces where both ends are fitted. Not cheap used 3 bundles at almost $100 a bundle and another $100 in red oak trim stained red mahogney and verathaned with multiple coats. $50 worth of formica and 3 serapes for the upholstery at $12 a piece
    More pics as soon as i finish the upholstery, headed for San Carlos Mexico at the end of June.

George

8. Geoh

Geoh Junior Member

Can it ever be called a yacht??

What does it take??

Attached Files:

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Can it ever be called a yacht??"

It IS a Yacht , a boat used for pleasure , rather than trade or fisheries.

Yacht is USE , not mere size.

But I'm not sure you would be too welcome in Cannes in high season.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.