Endurance

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schakel, Sep 20, 2017.

1. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Hello fellow engineers,

Since my current project is at hold I browsed through the february issue of yachting world and I stumbled against his beautifull new concept yacht:
    endurance 114  meters concept.PNG
    She is a 4 masted explorer design with 6000 miles range under power.
    What do you think?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It does not seem that the helmsman can have a correct vision of what happens by the bow of the boat. But as it is so modern, you can always fix it with a TV camera in the bow.
    Otherwise, the design is beautiful, no doubt.

schakel likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The absolute first thing that came to mind, maybe you could post a link to see what the boat is about engineering wise. February of what year?

4. schakel

The issue of yachting world with a short desciption of the yacht is february 2017 page 40.
    Designers are these two interiour architects:

felix Dolker.png Robert Voges.jpg
    Felix Dolker and Robert Voges
    DÖLKER + VOGES - Yacht design, netspace & consultancy http://www.doelker-voges.com/
    This is their consultancy statement.
    Voges & Dolker yachtdesign Hamburg.PNG
    And I laughed at the cartoon you found for the stern of Endurance.

5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

What makes it beautiful? Is it just that is huge and incredibly expensive or are there other qualities? Four masts and yet it needs a 6000m range under power? What happens when the boat heels and the helm slides down 30ft of deck to the lee (or do 114m boats not heel?).

Iv'e sailed tens of thousands of miles on yachts designed by yacht designers such as German Frers and they were a pleasure to sail on but I have done a few delivery trips on yachts designed by "designers" and they were terrible, a victory of style over sense. One in particular with a "designer" interior which I skippered from Holland to Greece had the skipper's cabin in the bow; to go aft I had to pass through a shower and then a heads which also had two doors leading to port and stbd guest cabins which I also had to navigate...since we had a full crew both male and female this provided plenty of embarrassing moments not to mention the stupidity of the skipper having to wait for someone to finish their business before going on deck!

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, I'm glad you laughed, I wasn't trying to be obnoxious as per usual.

I thought I had posted another comment also * that it would be bad to get a wave stuffed in that stern cavern like space. Also, that it would be a very nice place to sit around in.

I had image searched and found some more concept blurbs on the boat, but there's never any nuts and bolts descriptions to comment on in those puff pieces. A lot of times the claims are just sort of absurd. I did find one that linked a bunch of organizations sort of affiliated with this boat. I looked up one of them, Dystaka something or other, and their webpage had a number of large gigayachts they had constructed so it's possible these guys might actually have an idea of what they're doing.

This is a little bit from another site on the image search, it's about theses colossal boats in general and some of the problems...

The world’s biggest yachts – what’s behind the growth of the gigayacht - Yacht Crew Club http://yachtcrewclub.com/2017/07/the-worlds-biggest-yachts-whats-behind-the-growth-of-the-gigayacht/
    <mod note: * removed comment that was funny but a bit crude to describe another person's work>

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  7. schakel

I liked the following sentence:

With the ever-increasing winch and line speeds needed to handle the huge loads, serious hand and limb injuries can happen in the blink of an eye. “There is a moral hazard there that keeps playing on my mind,” says Doyle. “We are building very dangerous machines and we have to be very careful of people.”

Safety first!

8. schakel

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I like funny stories. Have you seen this picture from Brunel in the last VOR?
    volvooceanrace-img.s3.amazonaws.com/m37616_crop8_1024x1024_proportional_1427796314B2B9.jpg
    He was the On board reporter trying to get attention from the ladies on - shore. I guess he suceeded in that :)
    Have seen this vid?
    https://www.zeilen.nl/app/uploads/2017/06/13_00_170628_AZN_TMM_Welcome_Team_Brunel-1080.mp4?_=1
    It's in Dutch where Simeon Tienpoint (former america's cup wing man) announces he welcomes the crew from Brunel.
    I guess we can expect a matchrace between Brunel and Team Akzo Nobel.
    Will be fun to follow.

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

While its possible that looking at only one really stupid design aspect of the boat is not indicative of the whole, experience says that it is. The stairs/ladders in the stern would not even pass a local building code for a house that never pitches or rolls. Where is the medical bay and doctors office? Designers who can combine beauty and function in a boat are fairly rare and these guys fail any objective test of that based on what is shown here.

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Well spotted, unless the railings are transparent !

11. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

This is surely apt for all aspects of the mega yacht world. Even if such outsize private consumption doesn't make you think, the corruption that inevitably follows the necessity for resources and thirst for experiences (access to restricted areas etc) which these boats have unlimited money for...that should.

12. schakel

Has anybody seen this video from the new VOR's in the towing tank before?
    It was pwerformed this wekend by simeon Tienpoint and his crew from the AKZO Nobel boat in the upcoming VOR. This for shiphandling optimalisation. Can't wait for the VOR to begin . (Allicante 22 october)
    https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://vimeo.com/234998931?ref=fb-share&h=ATMxrP-S0tZXaPiEXu4ygxAjjyf9sZbHncwrUx9ioeLeLP8rbbH32dzS23BR510OmQ5Y_ESHsuPQxW28geokYsiQknBNfLI_2unXlz053f5I4CtqbgeG8FgLmy7zx6VLax8QKwGj5F93XvbtJtIZQQU-rH18G0bS-mFS2Fg3ndmY1AaygnmmfWoG-zyUe4ci2hkLKa2koQWTzBjFtqWWiI7umimqs9RGlKHMRR-gtUVqY2tdAmNkSRJU_7UiWVlWh283x2A5Zc79V6adK2k5O4uQKbVqXunt
    Test VOR.PNG
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.