yacht drawings to reverse engineer?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SamS, Jul 11, 2007.

1. SamS

SamS New Member

I am interested in learning more about yacht design but before I make a commitment to attending some design courses I would like to just see a full set of drawings for a yacht of any particular design. I work in mechanical design today and have access to CAD software and would like to have a set of yacht plans that I could reverse engineer just to see what level of documentation is required and what type of CAD modeling techniques are needed.

Can anyone please refer me to a full set of plans that are FREE (or very cheap anyway) or a book that contains a set of plans that I could purchase? I am not interested in building from this set of plans, I just want to see what type of documentation is required and gauge my interest in whether I really want to pursue working in this field. I have found several books about yacht design but I have a hard time knowing whether any of these books actually contain a full set of plans or not.

Can anyone help???

Thanks,

Sam

2. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi Sam
    The book "Principles of Yacht Design" by Lars Larrson and Rolf E Eliasson is entirely dedicated to the planning, design and construction of an imaginary yacht – the YD 40 (Yacht Design 40 footer) and includes full drawings and a whole lot more besides. A worthwhile read and I’m sure you’ll find it on Amazon.
    Take care!

3. SamS

SamS New Member

Thank you very much for that reference, that is one of the books that I had looked at and was considering. Think I will head over to amazon now to purchase it.

Thanks

Sam

4. yades

yades Senior Member

plans on this forum

See also the thread I posted time ago "FBYD 58ft - an example of concept yacht hull lines". You'll find also technical data fm Maxsurf outprint inserted.

yades:cool:

5. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Found that thread, for anyone who may be interested. It’s located here.

Sure is good and handy but the book I mentioned gives a much wider overview and a solid grounding in this mysterious art-form.

Take care!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.