Yacht Designer Bible Poll

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Yacht Skipper, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Yacht Skipper

Yacht Skipper Junior Member

Hello, I was searching for the Yacht designer Bible.
    I see plenty of books, I would love to have the money and time to buy them all and read them all, but it's not the case.
    If everybody had to choose 1 book to be considered as the ultimate Yacht Designer Bible for application to sailboats.
    Which one would you choose ?
    That would be interesting to have a poll on this.

Thanks

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

From a divulgative (but rigurous) point of view, I think Larsson/Eliasson's "Principles of Yacht Design" is hard to beat.
    Cheers.

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I'd agree
    "Priciples......" is definately the most up to date thorough walkthrough of design and it's authors are academics so it is a thorough approach.

A more inate understanding of the hydrodynamics is given by Pier Gutelle in "The design of sailing yachts" but it is more fundamental that "Principles". Piers book is a re-compilation and update of Marchajs earlier aerohydrodynamics which was a bit disjointed.
    Cheers

4. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

Mike,
    Concerning "The design of sailing yachts" is there any new information added that might be worth the purchase? I have Marchaj's Aerohydrodynamics of Sailing, now 16 years old (and all his other books). I'm curios as to the differance between the two.

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Tom
    It's very similar, a few updated studies and references but far better to read. He plagaurised a lot of Marchaj's work (according to Marchaj).
    cheers

< Improvements to CP features | ATT email users may be unable to join or get topic updates via email >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.