Yacht Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by peter tate, Nov 13, 2002.

1. peter tate

peter tate New Member

S/Y Frances Ann.
    Club de Mar
    PETER J TATE
    Muelle Pelaires, s/n 07080,
    Palma de Mallorca.
    Apartado 991.
    Spain.
    Telephone. 0034 666862372. E-mail yachtbuild.com

Dear Sir,

I think that bearing in mind the high profile of Laurent Giles Ltd. And the disastrous repercussions of awarding a design contract to a company run by Barry Van Geffen and Steven Wallis your readers should be made aware of the potential of being drawn in by unscrupulous members of both R.I.N.A. and the Y.B.D.S.A.

After losing my 40´classic yacht 1000 miles from Brazil (see mail on Sunday 17th February 1995) I returned to the U.K. and after some considerable deliberation decided to build a new yacht, in steel this time. I chose a designer from a short list called Laurent Giles Ltd.
    Reasons: Good name, fully qualified personable directors, both members of the Y.B.D.S.A. and R.I.N.A., which I understood was an endorsement of their respectability and professional ability. We also believed that to be members you had to have professional indemnity insurance.

I was presented with a specification, which after a few changes I agreed to, L.G. then insisted on vetting the builder of the steel hull, as they would not consent to “any old Builder”.

Sail and Steam of Brightlingsea Essex was finally approved and a contract signed. The contract was to include entry of the yacht into the Southampton Boat Show along with a 75ft. navy class locomotive and a Pullman carriage, Laurent Giles were to share the stand. The indication was that I might get some sponsorship from interested parties.

The builders failed to keep to the contract the boat show stand never happened and there was an arbitration, which ended up with me removing the part complete hull to my own property. The hull had £8,000.00 worth of remedial work to be done before I was able to carry on and finish the hull then fit her out myself.

When she was almost complete I did a test launch to check the trim, she was sitting trim but to my horror was 7” down on her lines with still several tons of essential gear to go.

Page 2

The architects refused to accept any responsibility and told me to deal with their solicitors. I requested that they send a surveyor or a representative to look at what I had done, but they declined.

As we had a contract with Laurent Giles we had to follow what had been stated in it, which was that in the event of a disagreement we would go to arbitration, the arbitrator to be appointed by the Y.B.D.S.A. and R.I.N.A. This was duly done, Laurent Giles then agreed to go to court instead, they then changed their minds and another arbitrator was appointed, 5 years later the hearing was held in his offices in Glasgow.

The hearing was booked for 5 days but the arbitrator called a halt after 4 days saying that he felt that he had heard enough.

During the hearing it came to light that Barry Van Geffen and Steven Wallis had been taking an undisclosed amount of money from Sail and Steam at the same time as they were in our employ and prior to us signing the contract with Sail and Steam. It was also found that Laurent Giles were not insured when they designed my yacht, even though they were required to be insured by the Y.B.D.S.A., and further more they stated that they would not pay any award that may be made against them. To ensure this they have taken all the assets of Laurent Giles Ltd., including the name and drawings, the company name is now “Briefgoals” and has gone into voluntary liquidation! owing me approximately £200,000.00.

The arbitrator made his award almost entirely in our favour but of course we will not see any of it, if Barry Van Geffen and Steven Wallis can help it.

Since this has been going on I have heard of other people that have had the same trouble with this company, represented by Barry Van Geffen and Steven Wallis.

Peter J Tate.

www.laurentgiles.com

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Really sorry to hear of your problems and that they should be associated with the name of such a renowned designer.

If the company has stopped trading then who is this: http://www.laurentgiles.co.uk/ note the "site updated" date of 22/10/02 and the comment :

"Managing Director Barry van Geffen, drawing on the Giles ethos, continues to create new custom sailing and power yacht designs in the same tradition that one expects from the the name Laurent Giles"

I am pretty sure that voluntary liquidation involves not pretending you are still a company, still the MD and updating your website...

One might assume that these guys : http://www.sea.edu/SEA2000/NewsUpdates2000/ShipyardNews/NewShipArchitect.htm owe Laurent Giles Ltd some money?

I am always convinced that there are two sides to every story but the picture and the arbitration dont seem to leave much room for error!

Good luck.

Paul

3. peter tate

peter tate New Member

Design/Laurent Giles

Laurent Giles now trade under the name Laurent Giles Navel Architects Ltd. When they designed my yacht they were called Laurent giles Ltd. although they are the same people.
    Laurent Giles himself is a long time dead these chaps just use his name.
    We can only assume that the next time they have an insurance claim or are in financial difficulties they will change the name to Laurent Giles something else Ltd.

Peter

www.laurentgiles.com

4. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

If I am not entirely mistaken that sort of activity used to be rife (take money, deliver shody goods, close, re-open under different name ... double glazing companies were the prime offenders!) until a law was changed and stated that it was fraud and as such became illegal. At least in the UK?

Any Uk lawyers out there ?

Paul

5. JPigott

JPigott Junior Member

Perhaps it's the LTD and that they are seemingly not a capital or asset intensive company.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.