Cost to build a Bluenose yacht

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bobby_mcgrath, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bobby_mcgrath

bobby_mcgrath Junior Member

I am a junior naval architect looking into starting a fabrication company for Bluenose class yachts. I was hoping I could get some insight on how much the production cost would be for a yacht of this size. I am not looking for actual company start up cost (mold fabrication, equipment, etc), as this is already covered.I am just looking for the material cost I guess, and possible an estimate on the amount of labor needed. The website is http://www.wjroue.com/BluenoseClass/index.html

Here are some of the particulars:
    Length, overall 23' 5"
    Length, waterline 16' 0"
    Beam 6' 3"
    Depth 2' 4"
    Draft 3' 8"
    Displacement 2,050 lbs
    Keel ballast, wooden design 750-755 lbs lead
    Keel ballast, fiberglass design 815-900 lbs cast iron
    Height of mast above deck 28' 9"
    Length of boom 12' 4"
    Sail area 218 sq. ft.

I am hoping to build them from FRP, using molds and vacuum bagging. Any insight would be great.

Bob McGrath

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Bluenose

Bob, a truly beautiful classic yacht! I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Alerion sold by Garry Hoyt(Newport R&D ) and built by TPI Composites but you might consider that kind of business model. In other words, have an established, reputable builder produce the boat for you- saves the headaches of a production boat building operation. Garry is very approachable and a damn nice guy; you might give him a call just to talk over your plans. His phone number at Newport R& D is: 401-683-9450
    Eric Sponberg ,contributor to this forum and marine engineer in addition to also being a naval architect, could help you with a professional assessment of the technical details and costing of the boat; his phone is 904-460-9494 ( www.sponbergyachtdesign.com )
    Good luck with your plans for that beautifull boat and please keep us abreast of developments.

3. abckits

abckits KILLICK

Heisler Boat Works in Nova Scotia may be a source as they build the Bluenose.
    There are others as well on the South Shore, Chester, Mahone Bay, Indian Point etc.
    Killick

4. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

The price for such yacht will be about 40 000 US$

5. Seafra

Seafra Sailing Nerd

40,000 US!? Whyever would it cost that much?

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

40.000USD per ton is a good estimate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.