yacht building (project team to assist with the development of a yacht)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by marg0042, Feb 6, 2013.

1. marg0042

marg0042 New Member

i have a client that wants to have a project team assist with the development of a yacht, from design to building to certifications, etc. in the USA. Where would you suggest I start?

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

find an experienced navel architect that specializes is the size of project you have in mind. He or she will have contacts and experience with reliable ship building yards that do good work. You will also want to find one with experiance working with the type of construction you intend, steel, alloy, composites, wood, etc.

If it is something unusual or out of the ordinary you will want to interview the NA to get a feel for how they work with new ideas and their willingness to be part of a design team to work with the owner on how to best execute his ideas. Some are open to working out problems with new ideas, others will not be so easy to work with when they do not have complete design authority.

The NA will be your key contact and be the person you will depend on to bring it all together, so choose carefully. It will mean the difference between getting it done successfully and having it fail and costing a lot a lot of money with nothing to show for it.

There are a number of NA on this forum that will likely contribute to this thread. Be ready to pay a retainer fee before you actually get stated or they may figure you are not a serious about proceeding with the project.

Can you describe more about what it is your client wants to build?

3. TuckSail

TuckSail Mechanical Engineer

Marg, send me a private message, I can point you in the right direction.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Getting a down payment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.