Yacht building - On the cheap!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Trevlyns, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi guys!

I’d like to start this thread which I know will raise a bit of controversy – but equally, I know there will be advocates who support it.

Here’s where I’m coming from… Who says that yachting is for the rich?

I’m an average working guy who could never even think of a multi thousand dollar/pound/euro – you name it, yacht. Does that eliminate me from enjoying this great pastime?

I say a big resounding NO!!

We managed fine without epoxy for 3000 years. Outboards weren’t even thought of at that time – let alone computers, satnav. sextants and radio. Winches, alloy masts, Dacron sails, stainless steel or (heaven forbid) Navtec rigging are recent innovations.

So how cheaply can we build a sea-going yacht?

As originator, I’ll start by claiming I’m designing a 40 foot Proa which I believe I can put together for less than £1000. I’ll do this by using Ethylene Glycol soaked “exterior” ply stitch and glued with builders adhesive, and glass tape on the crucial watertight joints. Good exterior paint, pitch for antifouling (thanks, Bergalia) and she’ll sport a self-tendering vane controlled wing sail made of ply and plastic sheeting.

Here is the cat – I set it amongst the pigeons!

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Trev, and why the hell not? not sure of the individual prices but the whole ethos in my view is about getting aflat and enjoying it - at a price you can afford! If it has to be string, galvanised wire and exterior grade ply so be it! The main thing is to build as substantial as you can know your limitations (both the boats and yours vis a vis materials and likely weather to be encountered). And I'll make a statement that there are quite a few peole out there with the same views! You may be surprised how many? there again you may not! so lets get to it and see what your web can produce!

the Walrus

3. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Go For It

Take a look at:
    http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/
    for Epoxy, Glycol, $200 sailboat. And,
    http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/articles.html
    for PAINT on the cheap... but good...

Construction and other adhesives?? . Some are MUCH better than others. I'll try to find the page....
    HERE it is: http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/glue/glue.htm

Wooden masts, maybe with epoxy/tape. PolySails. It COULD be low cost...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Regarding latex or acrylic paints.
    In my local "home builder store" I can buy exterior oil based house paint in a variety of colors for almost nothink (I think is't 5$/gallon). Sometimes they mix the wrong color, and it's a huge stack to pick from. And oil based paint is better for houses than latex or acrylic, so I think it's better for boats also. When I was a student, my boat was yellow one year and white or blue the other.

5. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Types of Paint..

Interesting issue.. I don't know if anyone has really tested typical oil-based paint VS 100% Acrylic below the waterline...

Dave Carnell, who was an industrial chemist for DuPont, thinks Acrylic is very good: http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/articles.html#A1

I've only used 2-part Epoxy Marine paint, which has been excellent... But that's 'neither of the above'...

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Yacht building - on the cheap

Dammit Walrus - the man wants a boat...not a bloody apartment....:mad:

But the point is Trev - Rus, Raggi and Terry all demonstrate that building can be done 'on the cheap' - without sacrificing quality. Me I enjoy building with recycled materials - but it's a matter of patience and being in the right place at the right time. (I'm long ago retired so can afford the time to lounge around). But one of the main 'savings' is in buying the fittings. With deference to those who may be in the business - I avoid 'yottie chandlers' who tend to place a huge mark-up on their gear. It may be bright and sparkly - but similar gear (bottle screws for just one instance) can be found in most hardware stores at a fraction of the cost of those in the chandlers. Alright, so they are zinc-dipped rather than chromed...but hell, a lick of paint can make them look just as 'attractive'...

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

trevlyvin ,,ask bergy how to build a yacht out of a old basketball court,,,,,it can and has been done,,starting off with used hull is ok ,,or finishing someone elses project is good too,,you dont have to be rich to start,,,bought my boat for 3500,,now its will take100.000 to pry it from my cold dead fingers,,,longliner

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Yacht building - on the cheap

Longliner - as that grand old lady cook, Mrs Beaton once wrote - "First, catch your basketball court....":D

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

To be serious,-- and I know that I am not so all the time. I thouroughly enjoy making some thing out of something else,- or on the cheap. Never mind costs or if you can afford it. I get great satisfaction out of repairing scrap and making something usefull work.

Talking of recycling wood my last boat a 62 foot Roberts had on board when I bought it tons of wood from the Singapore Raffles dance floor. The wood was planed and made a lovelly tongue and grooved floor through out the entire boat with some to spare for the four poster. The boat was built in Singapore where I bought it. It also had some wood the name of which I dont know but it was now no longer available. I think some of the wood workers in Bangkok stole most of it.

This dance foor wood in 3 inch x 1/2 planks was so hard it had to be cut with a hack saw and drilled,-- it was like alluminium.

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yeah normally the reverse Jesus thing - water (?) out of wine!

It's modern to recycle but boaters have been doing that for years! does this mean we are the original 'green people' (Max could you see Frosty as a 'mean green killing machine' something might be lost in the translation there methinks!)

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yacht- On the cheap! -You mean Boat Cheap

The difference between a Yacht and a Boat is....

I cant afford a Yacht, I can build and own a boat...

A Yacht has a Captain, a boat is one that you spend more time working on it than sailing.

A Yacht has fancy woods and granite counter tops. A boat has Home Depot Plywood and homemade counter top.

A Yacht has a Diesel engineer on call, a boat a mechanic that is always looking for his 9/16 socket....

Sound familar....:p Nothing Cheap on Yacht

12. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

I thought I posted this, but it has not appeared. So forgive the duplication - if there is one!

Hey guys, just before this thread gets totally out of hand (as it should) let me say thanks to all you fellas for the encouragement and to Terry especially for those useful links.
    Much appreciated! :p