Ya know... for a 12' concrete mixing box...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lewisboats, Jul 22, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

This thing is hauling derriere...

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good for you, Steve!

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Way to go Steve. Who'd a thunk a mortar box would go so well? She is giving you a fun ride and pretty good work out too.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Huh... I wish I was that young and spry! Nope... not me, sorry to say. Actually this video was part of Duckworks' August Reports and I just thought I'd share. A lot of people put down the PDR and close kin as poor performers... and this just shows that that is not necessarily so. They just look unassuming. My daughter's boat is a 10 ft EiderDuck, this is a 12' Puddle Goose but I have a 14 ft version on the drawing board... Canada Goose?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I started calling the PDR's a concrete mixing tub many years ago. It's nice to see it's spread as an adjective for it's siblings too. I know there's a lot of lovers of this type of craft, but it's just a mixing tub to me, even if it does manage double digits speeds in half a gale every so often.

Steve, maybe Puddle Drake?

6. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I generally support all entry level sailing but I can't help but cringe when I think of what they could have built with two sheets.

The dialog is something like this;
    PD -Like I always say, I'm smarter than I look!
    World -But you look soo stupid you would save yourself time looking smarter and not have to explain it all the time!

I don't see what is accomplished with bigger ducks. The one version I think should be designed is the "Secret Duck" that doubles as a shelf cabinet in the garage -for guys who's wives won't let them have a sailboat!

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

One mans meat is another mans poison.

I do not fancy the mortar box types, however such a boat is cheap and easy to build. Moreover, it floats just like a real boat. PDRs and their kin do let rank newbies attack a build with reasonable confidence. (Steve is far from a newbie, he just likes to experiment)

I will invoke the hippie mantra of the 70s: If it feels good, do it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.