Hull shape deliverables: lines and offsets or CAD math data?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DCockey, Mar 4, 2018.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Another question for designers: For the hull shape do you deliver to your customers a tradition lines drawing with a table of offsets, and/or a CAD file with math data? If math data is it a surface, 3D curves, 2D curves, and/or a cutting file? (Added) Another version of this question is what do you customers request/require/need for hull shape information?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I give absolutely all the information I have generated, listings, tables, drawings, 3D models, .... You can doubt the convenience of doing this but during the life of the boat, its breakdowns, maintenance, renovations, etc, this information may be necessary. In any case, it is normal to stipulate in the contract the information that will be given and in what formats.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

TANSL, my question is specific to hull shape and directly related geometry. What has been stipulated in recent contracts - a table of offsets? math data?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The table of offsets is a little outdated. With CAD drawings should be enough. But if the client wants it, my software can create it automatically and there is no problem in delivering it (Excel format). What I always include is a 2D body lines plan, in the traditional way.
    Math data ?, If with them you refer to the results of all the calculations, yes, I give them.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

By "math data" I meant CAD data.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It all depends on who the 'client' is and what are they paying for.

Generally, it is a shipyard, and they require a lines plan. I've not delivered a set of offsets for decades now. But offset tables are generally used for small boats and yards/builders that do not have access to computer burnt screvie boards.
    The shipyard may ask for the 3D model, simply for adding more data themselves later. Since most yards will not pay for the endless detailed production dwgs, thus they wish to save money and do this themselves. But in order to make sure it integrates with the structure provided, they ask for the 3D model.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.