Testing hull thickness

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jenevers, May 31, 2019.

1. jenevers

jenevers Junior Member

Is it possible for surveyors to test hull thickness these days, without having to use a grinder to create a clean surface? I once saw one grind a good 2 millimeters away before taking a reading! Not my boat I might add!!

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Is this steel?

3. jenevers

jenevers Junior Member

Yes.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

They use ultrasonic thickness tester approved by the surveying body. Class surveyors do not grind away materials. They ask the shipowner/Master to prepare the surface for testing either by sandblasting or wire brush. 3rd party surveyors do carry a small pick and hammer but only to expose the metal by chipping away rust scales. Only enough for inspection. I have never heard of a surveyor resorting to grinding as the thickness tester will show the state of the plate anyway.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to remove paint and oxidation off for a proper reading. Grinding off 2mm of metal is excessive. On unpainted steel we only scrape off the loose material, particularly when testing underwater.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.