How do I import offsets into Freeship?

Discussion in 'Software' started by alexlebrit, May 24, 2007.

1. alexlebrit

alexlebrit Senior Member

I've read the tutorial but quite frankly it whooshes over my head, because my offsets I've exported from Kayak Foundry don't look anything like those Freeship wants to import.

I've attached the txt for the offsets Kayak Foundry has given me: as you can see it looks a bit like this

Form Position X (mm) Y (mm)
    Form at 50 cm 0 455
    Form at 50 cm 0.333333 453.667
    Form at 50 cm 0.666667 452.333

And so on.

Does anyone know how I could get this to go into Freeship?

Attached Files:

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Alex
    The attached file is an output from Michlet that can be loaded into Freeship.

You will need to set the project setting to 6.6m length, 440mm beam and 90mm draft.

This may help you work out what Freeship needs from your kayak model.

Rick

Attached Files:

3. alexlebrit

alexlebrit Senior Member

Thank you Rick. I've tried and tried and it just seems beyond me. Ah well, the main reason I wanted Freeship was to play about with the deck structures and also to be able to export to a 3D renderer.

I guess I'll have to stick to 2D and be happy.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Alex
    I have attached a very simple hull model I made in FreeShip. I built this boat in aluminium so the development is a number of simple flat sheets.

When the file opens it will just show the hull outline in 4 windows. If you expand the perspective view to full size you can right click on the window, select <Mode> and then <Shade>, it will give you a rendered 3D image that you can rotate around with the slide bars at the side and bottom of the window. You can zoom in or out by dragging with the left mouse button and move the image in the frame holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse.

This hull only has 4 stations and not very many control points. You can select the <Control Net> with the red dotted button on the tool bar. Control points can be dragged around with the mouse in any of the views other than the perspective view.

Freeship is a reasonably efficient tool for ship design and worth a bit of effort to learn. I expect it can produce everything you want it to do.

Rick

Attached Files:

• V11.fbm
      V11.fbm
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
  5. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

If you convert cm to mm and clean the file (remove all words) as in the attached .txt file you end up with a file that looks like the X Y Z input text file that you can import as a 'chine' file into Freeship/Delftship. The result looks like it could be a 'kayak'(needs cleaning). Rick is right, best is to learn and design directly with this great software.

Attached Files:

6. alexlebrit

alexlebrit Senior Member

That's excellent, truly, thank you very much. Slightly odd round the middle and the stern, but excellent none the less.

And RIck thank you too, for the patience, both here and on the HPB list.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.