x-post w/multihull forum: Materials requirements - ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Navy Dave, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Navy Dave

Navy Dave Junior Member

Hello,

I am a MBA student at Southern Methodist University - Cox School of Business. I am working on a five-year business plan project for a start-up boat manufacturing company. Not only is this a required project, but also I would like to see if this is a feasible project to actually pursue.

My question is how many layers and of what kind (mat, weave, weight?) of Fiberglass media would you recommend for a 14.5' planeing, air-entrapment hull, given your experience? I also have no idea of what type of core material to use, other than I want it to be 100% wood free. The construction method will be vacuum infusion.

My passion is fishing and watersports, but my expirtise is in finance. If anyone can fill the gap with materials needed for this project I would be very appreciative.

This is only for forecast financials. Inaccuracies in materials requirements can have a significant impact in my financial projections. So any help would be appreciated!

Thanks to all in advance!

Dave

2. Navy Dave

Navy Dave Junior Member

Here is some additional clarification:

The boat will be a 14.5’ planeing catamaran powerboat, with a stepped hull and center pod. I expect the boat to utilize a 50 hp motor.

The primary intended use is flats fishing in protected waterways.

The target weight is 700-800 lbs.

There will be two models:
    1) Fiberglass vacuum resin infused
    2) Kevlar/Graphite weave

I have no idea of material weight to use, type of media (mat, weave, etc)

The measurements are:

14.5’ long
    8’ wide
    2’ gunwales

I do not have any cad drawings, as the time frame is very tight on this project. If the numbers workout, I will continue to pursue this project further.

Let me know if there are any other details that need further clarification.

Thank you once again.
    Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.