X-Bow on small craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BMP, Jul 22, 2022.

1. BMP

BMP Junior Member

Would X-Bow type geometry work on small boats say 20-40ft monohulls or multihulls or are they more of a larger vessel thing?
    I tried searching for examples but couldn't find much.
    Thanks

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

X-bows don't work well with sailing vessels. Because a X-bow has negative waterplane growth, the bow of a sailing vessel is forced under generating bow steer and tripping with any apparent wind not close hauled.
    Like most extreme shapes, X-bow have a single purpose and most vessels, especially a sailing vessel, is not it.

3. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

Did the OP say anything about sailing? I’m confused.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I'm not. The OP mentioned " 20-40ft monohulls or multihulls"....these would not be powerboats. Indeed, an X-bow on a small high speed power boat would be a good way to die, or at least swim home.

Ad Hoc and BMcF like this.
  5. John Rivers

John Rivers Junior Member

I too am quite interested in the design and am wondering if it can be tweaked to be more swept back maybe at a 30 or even 60 degree kick back. I'm going to design a variation for a stand up paddleboard and go collect wave data in various conditions. Certainly they can plow through waves closing out and I'm wondering how sleekness would affect the cutting value and how much the top tongue chops in and at what level.

Attached Files:

6. John Rivers

Here are the style hulls I'm looking at that are half reversed, I guess,, spear bow,, with a wave ribbon.

Attached Files:

7. John Rivers

Magnus de Brito
    Notice the wave catch ribbon.

Attached Files:

8. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

<shrug> Those are different bows for different reasons. BTW, have you ever heard the word "baidarka"?

9. John Rivers

Never heard of them and holy cow they are amazing bows!

10. John Rivers

My concept is similar to thunder child 2. Having a normal hull as a "chine"? Of the reverse bow, Preventing pitchpoling and building stepping ribbons or chines?. Technically this is an x bow. It seems if you are going to go reverse bow, you need to add about 10% to the length because it will dig. Main reason is greenwater ratio and people generally do not like getting wet or it creates function concerns. The average consumer also doesn't want a 20' kayak or and cannot transport them easily.

Attached Files:

11. John Rivers

This 3d printed hull is something of an x bow on the side that dampens wake and waves hitting the side of the boat.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.