Chris Craft Kit Boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Joe Febonio, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Joe Febonio

Joe Febonio New Member

FB_IMG_1607053883697.jpg

Looking for some help identifying my dad's old wooden boat.
    I've been told it's a Chris Craft. It looks like a kit boat from the 50s, 60s.
    This pic is from 60s, early 70s.
    It had an Outboard in a well with a cover, the green box in the back.
    I've been searching online and have seen Christ Crafts with similiar lines, trunk cabin with windshield.
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Joe

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    bajansailor likes this.
  2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I wasn't aware Chris Craft made kit boats. I used to work with a gentleman who had been the Chief engineer at Chris Craft in the 60's and early 70's and I don't recall him ever saying they had kits. It may be a Glen-L. They made a lot of copy cat kits. Any info would be helpful, length, breadth, etc.

This one looks a lot like the boat in the photo 19' Two Plus - trailerable cruiser-boatdesign https://www.boatdesigns.com/19-Two-Plus-trailerable-cruiser/products/370/ It even has a raised hatch over the outboard motor well.

bajansailor likes this.
  3. Joe Febonio

Joe Febonio New Member

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I learn something new every day.
    All the old records for Chris Craft are in the Chris Craft collection at the Mariners Museum at Newport News VA.

5. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

looks a lot like a boat I inherited from my cousin. the one I have was a kit boat, not sure of the origin though. it was built in the early 50s

Attached Files:

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

7. Joe Febonio

Joe Febonio New Member

Thanks.
    My father's boat had the outboard motor in a well, with that green cover over it. Same with your boat?

8. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

this boat had a 223 ford six with Muncie gear works flexdrive 500 outdrive. the boat is 19' three fuel tanks holding a total of 60 gallons. I found charts in the boat showing routes from long beach to San Diego , Catalina and Ensenada. the boat was built by a machinist that worked for Hughes Aircraft . it is on a really tall trailer for launching off the sand in long beach harbor. navigation was by compass and a sears windup dash clock.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.