bow-thuster in a wooden hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pietro, Sep 17, 2010.

1. pietro

pietro New Member

Hi all, I would like to buy a 1977 60" Baglietto, twin DD 12v 650hp. As the hull is a triple mahogany planked one, does anyone help me to understand if it could be wise to place a bow-thruster in it? Fiberglass tunnel should be ok? Does anyone know someone who made it on a similar motorboat? Thank you a lot.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am not familiar with the design, but it is possible to install a bowthruster. It would have to be designed so when the structure is modified the hull is still solid.

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

yes i have seen it done

4. Tantalus

Tantalus 1963 kauri cruiser

My boat is snuggle skin kauri timber - 1inch. Have fitted a bow thruster. Best 8k I've ever spent. Structurely - no problem. Moves the bow left or right with no flex, or movement in the planks. Get a reputable boatbuilder and trust him....

5. Tantalus

Tantalus 1963 kauri cruiser

Snuggle??? I meant single skin.... :)

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

She was built in your backyard, in Varazza, and I am sure all the Ligurian coast up and down, you find at least a handful of yards and shipwrights in every port having done exactly what you are planning. Just ask at the next bus stop.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.