Michlet available again (but no longer free)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jeff, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

After Michlet got attention in the December/January Professional Boatbuilder and lots of other places, it was mentioned in this thread to everyone’s great disappointment that Michlet was no longer available.

This is just a note that Michlet is now once again available, though it is no longer free. The current price is now $250

-----------------------------------------

As of 18 November 2001, Michlet is no longer available for free from this site.

Version 6.06 was the last free version and might be available from some software repositories. If you would like me to email you version 6.06, please send a cheque or money order for $US250 to:

Leo Lazauskas
    Department of Applied Mathematics
    Adelaide University 5005
    AUSTRALIA

2. Steve Hollister

Steve Hollister Junior Member

"Version 6.06 was the last free version and might be available from some software repositories. If you would like me to email you version 6.06, please send a cheque or money order for $US250 ..."

I e-mailed Leo a week or so back and suggested to him that rather than take the program off of the web, he should sell it for a small fee. Now, you may quibble that $250 is not a small fee, but I think that it is a very small fee considering what you get. CFD programs are very complex and you can't expect Leo to keep developing it for free. There is no other CFD program (that includes some form of free-surface calculation!) that is free or very inexpensive. (If you know of one, then please let me know!) Most CFD programs that handle the free surface are either too expensive or proprietary. Be careful, since there are a lot of CFD programs out there that do not apply to vessels resting on the (free) surface of the water. Some, like the variations of VSAERO, may be useful for lift/drag calculations well below the surface, but they do not handle the transverse and divergent waves that get generated by the hull.

A couple of years back, I added a Michlet hull format file output to ProSurf at the request of John Winters, a canoe and kayak designer. I also told Leo that I would be glad to improve the connection between ProSurf and Michlet to make the transfer of geometry and control information as smooth as possible. I wish Leo the best, since he isn't doing this for the money.

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I am still developing Michlet but the latest versions (version 8.x) are not fit for release to the public: they are special versions for people who have paid me a little to customise their versions.

Michlet has also evolved into several other programs (e.g. Flotilla, and SWPE) and I have been developing them instead of Michlet.

I have just got back from holidays (early because I got bored with no net access!) and I am hoping to develop a better connection with Stephen Hollister's line of programs. I'll post something here when we decide on the necessary interchange protocols etc.

All the best to everyone for the New Year!

Leo.

5. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.