Would you like to work in Linux vs. Windows?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tux, Nov 17, 2002.

?

Interested in Linux?

1. Yes I like Linux for its great stability

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes I like the idea of Linux because it is free/open source

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. The lack of software is still holding me back from installing Linux

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. No I already am comfortable in Windows – why learn yet another OS?

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. No Windows is still an easier OS to use than Linux

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. How about other flavors of Unix like FreeBSD

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. I want more software for Mac / Max OSX

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johnhazel

johnhazel Senior Member

Michlet is the only program that keeps windows in my house. I prefer Linux and sometimes run Michlet in WINE, a windows emulator. However the redrawing of Michlet graphics is slow in WINE and if I try to move the Michlet window, WINE crashes and takes Michlet with it. So I keep a Windows 7 computer around.

Windows 8 caused a redraw (slowness) problem with Michlet. I also really hate Windows 8 in general so I put Windows 7 on my latest computer build. Now it's back to fast graphics updating and I can move the Michlet window around.

2. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

I run Windows 7 in a VirtualBox machine on my Linux desktop: no need for rebooting, no need for a separate machine.

I'd like to be Linux only, but a lot of engineering software devs ignore it.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have 5 computers running linux mint some installed from the same bootable cd and all behave different. At the moment I am using GIMP graphics and my laptop GIMP software has gone silly. When I use the eraser it gives a black smude line,when I use crop the brightness and contrast comes up and takes over and there are more eratic problems.. just when I was falling more in love with mint. No it is not the operator. I would prefer to use Linux but others use the computers and have their preferences.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.