Worse design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gonzo, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark775

mark775 Guest

""Euro Style" you will find nowhere in Europe" - Yet, there is this fascination with it. Maybe it started because of the "K" car in the seventies. The cars were so bad that anything european was deemed good. Put a few French words on a bottle of liquid soap made in China out of anti-freeze and yak urine and women would pay five dollars for it and insist on finding a place for it in the shower. Bubble windows, droop snoots, swoopy everything, and recently, big windows on the hull-sides, are all thought "euro" yet they all define "ugly" and "novice boater". Radar arches, sensible enuf, I guess, spell "non-tradional" and I have equated that since the first one I saw with "new guy". The worst is a radar arch that sets up a harmonic oscillation in certain seas because of poor design..no, no, the worst is a swoopy, severely aft raked arch on a more traditionally styled boat! When people do modifications, I have stressed this for decades , would all-ya-all (vosotros) please draw it first?!
    I may be straying a little far. Worst design? The hollow cast Herreshoff style cleat that couldn't hold taught dental floss without folding an ear. Anything made out of chrome-plated zinc (Perko).

2. yipster

yipster designer

but that makes more than half the production boats a worse design

3. Kaluvic

Kaluvic New guy

I think it looks Euro kick ***....good job Frank

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

and the frogs are the worst culprits;)

5. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

:?: :)
    I friend to me said. "Our body consisting of a whole lot of water. Caused by that we do likes the sight of seworthy lines. If you see a boat you donĀ“t like. Never buy it because it will be a totaly disaster on the water."
    Maybe he is right:?:

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I would say that any design of boat is a compromise of:

- Aesthetics;
    - Performance;
    - Safety;
    - Comfort (in technical terms - including noise, climate, lighting, accommodations, accelerations);
    - Cost.

Good design is good compromise of those...

For me, sacrificing rest of properties in favor of appearance produces the worst design :)

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Concrete submarine

8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL,
    What Mark said. Form following function with an appreciation for timelessness is my .02.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

... with screendoor.

10. Jezzza777

Jezzza777 Previous Member

what software did you use?

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

WillyCAD 5.8

12. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

As engineering and design challenges become increasingly easier, faster and cheaper to overcome, an aspect of design which clients (and therefore designers) are paying more attention to is that almost intangible and difficult to describe ergonomic element of use. A vessel's ease-of-use and user-friendliness could be comprised of the list of all of the little things which, given just a little forethought and care at the design stage, can make the difference between what is perceived to be a well designed boat or not. When I say "perceived" it's because often a user won't recognize or appreciate the safety or robustness of a vessel because those elements are working in the background. Performance and comfort rank a little higher on the "obviousness" scale. But make it comfortable to stand at the helm for three hours at a 30 degree heel, or make there be a place to set my drink safely no matter where I am, or give me a place to plug my iPod into the sound system and charge it too (this is, after all, the iPod mentality seeping in)...well, those are things that "I", the user, will use to decide if I think the boat is a good design or not. For the rest of us, we know that good design has a foundation in safety, performance and robustness, but with those design elements being easier to address now than ever (read advanced materials, design software, millions of boats already on the water, etc.) our customers are increasingly looking for the interface between user and boat to become more fluid, effortless and less intimidating. It is, no doubt, the general trend of the human race becoming more lazy and spoiled with each passing day, but as designers we need to keep pace with these demands and expectations, tempering them with our good old-fashioned good design know-how, quietly working in the background, but never gone.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Silverton boats. I have had to cut decks to remove an engine.

14. BTG YACHT DSGN

BTG YACHT DSGN -sailing is believing-

Worse design is every design you send to your buddy designer to get his opinion of it :). But be sure that this design is gonna be the market revolution, and he is only afraid of it ;).

But seriously- worse design (if taken the style part of it under consideration) is the form that don't pleases the eye, indeed. My own opinion is that smooth, organic design is the best choice for any boat. Unfortunaltely now I'm designing a boat (deck house of a motorboat precisely) and the manufacturer forced me to design it from plate developments o_O I'm trying to deal with it, but still can't find a solution that makes me like ,,wow, this is it".

If taken under consideration th technical aspect- the design has to work, has to be safe in use. If not- then it's a bad design.

15. gunship

gunship Senior Member

it has no flybridge, sot its not american, thats for sure :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.