Worse design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gonzo, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Oh.....
    Thanks Troy

3. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

<mod note: removed off topic paragraph>

Note to mod:

A man insults me and makes false accusations against me and you delete my reply, yet you don't delete the accusation he made?

That's really nice of you, isn't it?

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

YOU CLAIM TO BE INSULTED ???

now you are completely nuts! The member with the highest rep score left the forum because of your idiotic behaviour, and now YOU are whining?

5. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Question for mod:

with apex's jab, can i assume that we are back on topic?

:D

6. gunship

gunship Senior Member

Loveofsea, dont mess with the mods. and dont claim to be an old salt when you clearly isnt! your first claim is on the level of a thirteen year old who likes to make pretty statemens.

Even I have seen much bigger (and for your infromation better designed) boats take a nose down, its all about the waves. sure, it looks like a bow down may be hard to achive inshore, as long as there is light traffic. you cannot say that simply taking water is an automatically bad design feature.

7. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

Gunship, i'm not that old :) But i have spent over 2 years afloat, one weekend at a time ;)

i assume you saw the video of the boat going down the river and suddenly the bow dives below the surface throwing the kid into the water....?

this whole thing is about my OPINION that a well designed hull wouldn't throw a passenger into the water! Why can't people simply DISAGREE with my OPINION and just let it go? If you all don't consider that to be unsafe, then so be it. You are not going to change my opinion and i have no desire to change yours.

apex said that i drove away a poster, please tell me how i can be responsible for what another chooses to do? i thought we were having fun until he got mean...

Here we are gathered in this incredible little nitch in the huge cyber world and we can't even get along with eachother--what a shame..:rolleyes:

8. gunship

gunship Senior Member

i men that your statement is on equal level to saying "A bad boat is one that spontaneously sinks". its somewhat obvious and does not add to the discussion ;). first i thought it a joke, then you all started to argue about it and i was amazed.

9. flyinwall

flyinwall Junior Member

it doesn't matter how well designed a boat is if there is a lunatic at the helm (no i havn't seen the the video of the boat going down the river ) but i used to work on a 60' prawn trawler (and i spent up to 6 months at sea at a time) that took a wave through the wheelhouse windows (that were about 10' up from the water) and that was an accident i have seen however a couple of clips of people doing stupid things in very well designed boats that ended in accidents

Now can EVERYONE now kiss and make up!!!!

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Because you aren't content to simply have an opinion. You repeatedly cram it down people's throats, with such mischaracterizations as "suddenly the bow dives below the surface..." as though there were no good reason for that to happen; the boat just did it on its own. That's complete bs, and you know it.

You also do things like sneer at professional fishermen (who make a living at sea), for having wheelhouses on full-sized, deep-sea fishing vessels--instead of sitting in the open and holding a tiller, like you do when you're playing with your toy skiff off the Southern California coast. What's next? Are you also going to sneer at them for having radar, instead of depending on their own eyes like real men?

I don't care how many hours you've racked up afloat on weekends. It's completely asinine to pretend that it makes you some sort of macho hero--or some kind of an expert on boat design, who's qualified to tell professional designers and naval architects they should be arrested for not adhering to your simpleminded, amateurish ideas of a "proper" boat design.

I'll repeat my offer: put me at the helm of your skiff, and see how long it takes me to stuff the bow. Will you junk the boat or give me the title, if I prove it's just as "unsafe" as all those other boats you're carrying on about?

11. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

<mod note: insult removed: the more people complain about a member's posts, the tighter we are with moderation of same >

so....

i'm asking myself, why would anyone care what i thought of a boat whos bow dived below the surface while running down a river.....

It must be the unabashed liberal in me that thinks we need to always move toward a kinder acceptance of thoes that we disagree with...

We present our case, and if it is rejected, so be it...

that's the best we can hope for.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

One final word, and then I think I'm done for a while. It would be a lot easier for us to 'let it go,' if you didn't keep throwing it in our faces....;)

Let's be clear, here, loveofsea: I respect the fact that you built your own boat, you learned how to get the most out of it, and it's apparently filled your needs for years. Good for you; that's the kind of story I like to hear.

But Lordy, son: stop carrying on like building one outboard skiff somehow turned you into God's gift to the world of boat design and naval architecture. And you also need to stop boasting about the salt water in your veins, particularly to men who go to sea for a living. You aren't going to overawe the skipper of a deep-sea fishing vessel by telling him how many weekends you've spent around around the kelp beds in your skiff. Or anyone else who goes to sea for a living, designs and builds boats or ships for a living, or has otherwise spent a career on and around the water. OK? Ain't gonna happen.

The nearest analogy I can think of is this: I was a general contractor for years; among other things, I drew and built houses. What you're doing is the equivalent of trying to tell me that 90% of the houses in the country (including mine) are not just designed and built wrong, but are actually dangerous--based on the fact that you built an 8'x10' storage shed in your back yard 19 years ago, and you're still using it.

13. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

We lost Par over this guy with his 20' skiff? That is a horrible trade. Moderators, Get rid of this guy and contact Par and Diskara (sic) too for that matter, and ask them back on bended knee. The value of this place is the people. If you continue to lose the best soon enough you'll lose a sizable number of the rest and this place will degenerate into just another boating site instead of the little jewel that it is.

1 person likes this.
  14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

TW - I know that Jeff is - and has always done - his best to keep things on the straight and narrow. But I think it's up to all of us to pull our socks up and think about what we are saying before we post. It shouldn't be up to Jeff to look over us like a bumch of kids in the playground....

15. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

You're probably right. There have been a couple of jerks in the past but they didn't seem to be able to goad valuable people into leaving. I am beside myself in frustration over this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.