Worm shoe

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by furasta, Jan 14, 2009.

1. furasta

furasta New Member

Hello all. Newbie, here at least. Not to wooden boats though.
    I just pulled off my worm shoe, 10x 9 x 70, after finding worms in the lower 3".
    Now, I've access to a large block of fairly green red oak and can recut it from one piece (the last one was laminated, opened up and the visitors moved in). First of all, I do think any oak is fine if submerged in salt. But, the block in question will be around 30% moisture content. Any comments?
    :confused:

2. ned L

ned L Junior Member

Red Oak will work fine (really anything will for a worm shoe). When installing, make sure you use a good layer of heavy roofing felt and tar between the shoe & the keel. - If she's going back in the water soon the moisture content should not matter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.