World Sail

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by thelittlehurt44, Sep 7, 2009.

1. thelittlehurt44

thelittlehurt44 New Member

Hi ive been around on the water since I can remember and currently sail a 25'. I would love to sail around the world in a home made boat. Does anyone have an idea of how big a boat should be to complete my dream safely? Does anyone have a model that would work best? It is just myself and girlfriend.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The next question you need to answer is
    "Do I still want to be with my girlfiend at the end of the trip"
    No - then well "blue water" designed boats over 25ft will do
    Yes - then nothing under 60 ft with a big engine should be considered

Its a lot cheaper and safer to fly than do it in *any* boat!

I am not having a go at the fairer sex here. The boat size thing applies to any mix of genders. Murders have been committed over farting in confined spaces or less. Read a few "true adventure" stories to get the picture.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I think Watson exaggerate about the "fart" syndrome. If it is a cute fart from your girl friend, no big deal, if its one from Watson, :p
    I will say 30' at the waterline, 9 tons displacement will do fine, and even have space to have a kid during the trip. I designed and several of my customer are doing that, it work just fine.
    To be clear, I don't try to sell a plan. It is just what I know, not what I suppose or read.
    Cheers
    Daniel

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Ah yes, when *I* fart, it would be a problem allright. Its goes both ways, cute fart from girlfriend .. no worries, but can *she* live with *him*??

A great book about extended cruising in a sail boat is "Blue Water" by Bob Griffith, in his 53 foot cutter "The Awahnee II"
    see http://www.insidemystery.org/navigation/awahnee.html

He has the most amazing, detailed practical advice for people surving on a small boat, physically and psychologically.

I got the impression that a lot of the success of any voyage comes back to the qualities of the skipper, practicality, socially, resilience, confidence ... etc etc. The crew need to be willing too - its a complex formulae.

My worst night in a small boat was sharing the fore-berths with someone who snored worse than me ! Not many places you can go to escape in a small boat.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would really advise checking out everythng written by Sven Yrvind who has done exacally this a number of times. Personally I want more comfort than can easily be achieved in the smallest boat possible, so I would be looking in th 40' range. But boats down to around 20' can safely and in relative comfort mae the trip.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.