For Phil Bolger fans

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, May 5, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

There's a very nice article about Phil Bolger over on Duckworks, dated way back in 1983.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/vintage/nquarterly/phil/bolger.htm

I miss not having Phil Bolger in my world. I can't tell you how many imaginary conversations or correspondences I had with him over the years, as I worked out some detail or other on the simple boats I've drawn or built, or just dreamed about.

He was my virtual sounding board; a way of talking to myself, or even arguing with myself, without having to admit it. By the time I had my questions properly framed in my mind for him, the answers had usually become so obvious I never actually had to buy a postage stamp.

Now, of course, I wish I had bought some stamps anyway; a personal reply from Phil Bolger would have been one of my treasured possessions. And I have no doubt he would have taken the time to write one, because that's the way he was: he loved what he did, and he loved talking about it.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Attached Files:

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just came across this article about Phil's widow Susanne Altenburger who designed a gravestone to commemorate his extraordinary life of design and innovation....
    Designed to overcome grief: Widow's unique gravestone honors global boat builder

- - see also the ‘‘Related Links’’ in the column on the right of the linked page - -
    ( thumbnails as posted full in the quote )

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2014

4. sandpiper32

sandpiper32 Junior Member

Phil Bolger

I have most of his books. I love re reading them. The best designer/writer ever. I'm still learning from him.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.