Working with uni?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatBuilder, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I'm wondering... What holds uni together when you are working with it? How do the strands stay in place on the roll and when laying it on the part?

Also, what is a uni hotmelt roll?

Thanks!

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. CatBuilder

That's what I was thinking too, Hoyt.

Doesn't seem like something I want in my laminate. Pretty confused about ordering the right uni for my beams.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Most uni is held together with polyester stitching just like your triax and double bias, many years ago i used a lot of uni S glass from Orcon which if memory serves me right was held together with strips of adhesive across the roll, Hotmelt maybe?
    Steve.

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

When we were working with the unis. the raw rovings intended for infusion are held together by stitch and the prepregs are supplied to us by the manufacturers in two types.

The hot rolled type, wherein the rovings are infused by resin by laying a film adhesive and hot rolling it to infuse the resin to the fiber and

The "wet type" process where the rovings are dip rolled into a hot liquid resin and allowed to cool.

Both prepregs are supplied "dry" with a plastic or paper backing to hold it together and remain workable during the build process.

6. CatBuilder

Thanks for the uni information. Sounds like I want the stitched for this project, since it'll be laid into an infusion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.