Working on my first project, any tips?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by plywoodpete, Jun 10, 2013.

1. plywoodpete

plywoodpete Junior Member

makes sense, thank you.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pete (I presume), the shapes you've employed are flawed for several reasons, as has been mentioned, some less than tactfully (typical for him).

In a nut shell, you've made the lower portion of the hull without any initial form stability, which can work, but only if you dangle a huge weight way below the boat (in a key location of course) and accept that she'll flop over at a certain angle of heel, before this weight can come to bear against the righting moment and hold you somewhat upright. There are many other issues with this set of shapes as well and their impact needn't be furthered.

The obvious choice is more education, about the principles and fundamentals and there are several texts, that will several you well. Lastly, once you do get a better handle on the basics, pattern your design after a well known, well founded design, so you don't make all the typical and classic errors most novice designers make. Save your current drawing and look back at it once you've gotten some knowledge. You'll start to see what we see and have the same opinion.

Sketchup isn't the best tool to use, so consider one of the free downloads. FreeShip is a popular one and many examples can be downloaded to help you with the initial development process.

You don't need ribs, which are a pain in the butt anyway, so look into the various methods of wooden construction. Try the book store here for yacht design texts and also have a look at Dave Geer's stuff, for help with scantlings.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Now PAR gave you the polite version of what I already said . subtleties are not in my hand book of life . :mad:
    Just a few words and to the point .
    delete what you done , get your act together and do it again but think about what you doing next time , you never going to reinvent the wheel so if you copy some one else's work you might learn something along the way !!!!. :D

HAVE A LOOK AT THE STUDENTS AND PROFESSIONALS DESIGNERS WORK AT THE BEGINING OF BOAT DESIGN AND SEE WHAT OTHER ARE DOING !!
    You sure the cat didn't walk across the key board when you were playing with the design program ??

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Pete; Most of us are pretty congenial and much committed to being helpful. Very few of our members are less than cordial but there are a few. Do not judge the forum or its members by first impressions.

The only times we become impatient is when a new person comes for advice and then proceeds to dispute the collective knowledge, experience, and wisdom of its members. You have not been one of those.

Please carry on.

1 person likes this.
  6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

plywoodpete

Persistence and determination to succeed ,I been testing you !!
    After the wee toasting comments I gave you , you could have thrown you hands in the air and never come back . It would have proved you didn't have what it takes to carry on and been doomed to failure straight away .

yes we are all here to help despite what other think of my methods . BUT you do need to get you head on straight and look at every boat no matter what size or shape and figure out why they do what they do and what's best and why is it the best .
    When I first got into boats seriously I never went any where without my camera and I have thousands and thousands of pictures of boats hulls decks interiors and what ever . I used to stick then on my wall and look at them for hours till I understood what I was seeing and what was the designer thinking .
    Specially when it came to go fast boats !! Once I go to build fast boats I used a video camera to watch and study how they behaved and what caused things to happen .
    The video is really useful because with close ups you can play on a big screen and still frame and back and forward one frame at a time so to speak . :D:p

7. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Aussie version of 'tough love' :D

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

No. It's being called on being an ahole and now he's backpedaling while also trying to take the credit for something. "I been testing you!!" LOL

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

we all need that at some time in our lives even us kiwis blokes !!:D

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Gets action and attention that's for sure :D

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The first question is how do YOU define "seaworthy"?

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The same way you describe beauty . . .

13. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Seaworthy = takes you out and gets you back safely in all conditions

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Just an additional clarification, as boats don't usually go to sea by themselves

"Seaworthy Boat - Allows one or more humans to go to sea, and return safely, without undue suffering and risk"

Here is a contrast of two disparate styles of boat - the wooden boat is on an around the world trip, but I wouldn't want to be on it.

Attached Files:

15. Wolfgang Zhang

Wolfgang Zhang Junior Member

I'm wondering about the software that plywoodpete use. Sketchup can't build up smoothy surfaces, but just polygon. The hull should be fair enough in longitudinal direction. Samsam is quite right, try to use freeship or delftship.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.